Skip to main content

Created For A Purpose

I feel the cool breeze as I sail through the air. It's amazing. I fly. I career. I sail. I am euphoric. The early morning sun shines brightly. It's too early in the day for its heat to overbear. Instead, the sun offers the perfect balance of warmth to the crispness of a new day. It colors the sky with pink, purple, and shades of blue. The clouds smear across it like cotton candy across a child's face. Below me, the newly mowed grass smells strongly of summer days.

This is what I was made for. This freedom. This abandon. This liberty. This emancipation.

To sit, hour after hour, in a confined space. To exist through a span of days without this experience. For life to fly by me when I should be sailing through the middle of it - soaring through the middle of it - is a pitiful existence. Painful. Remorseful. Depressing.

True, I've seen better days. I'm not all that I used to be. My skin isn't smooth or blemish-free as once it was. The sun has taken its toll on me. Life has taken its toll on me. I have the expected markings of age - the markings of my years. I prefer this to the alternative though - to having spent my life on a shelf; to be of an age when my contemporaries are well-lived, well-worn and to find myself preening and splaying my youthful beauty? No, this is by far a better choice. My imperfections only serve to prove my life has been full.

I smile as these thoughts glide through my mind. I begin my descent. I brace myself for what I know will come. I squeeze my eyes shut. I grimace. This is the hard part. I wait for it. . . wait for it . . .

Whomp. My head rattles just a bit from the sudden stop. In a rush, I let out my breath. The worst is over. I open my eyes, and I'm grateful: He caught me face up. I squint at the sun and hear a voice from across the field.

"Good boy, Morgan! Good boy! Bring it hear! Come on!"

I smile because I know that soon I will once again soar. I will once again feel the ecstasy of doing exactly that for which I was created.

Is there anything this side of eternity that can even compare?

Comments

  1. Didn't know career could be used that way! Learned something new today :-) Are you a frisbee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always happy when He catches me face-up too! Eye-to-eye, heart-to-heart, even if my knees are all skinned, He has me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. catching up on your blog, lori. i love this entry. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you do one for ....... say a dish rag?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God