Skip to main content

A New Question To Ask

Trials. Hard times. A rough patch. Call them what you will, we all go through them. It seems to me that the longer I live, the longer those seasons last and the shorter the time between them. Rarely do I wake up one morning to find that all is right with my world. The troubles of the past few months gone with the fluttering of my opening eyes. They typically peter out and they often peter in. Sometimes the end of one rough patch is blurred with the beginning of another, and I'm not quite sure if the first one ever actually ended or just took a breather.

We had a guest speaker at our church this past Sunday. He's not really a guest though. He and his wife are from England, but they were a part of our church for five years. He's more like visiting family - family that you want to see and always wish they could stay longer. They're wonderful people, he and his wife. Hearts of gold. Humble. Wise. Fun. We spent the evening with them last night and the time flew by.

His message on Sunday was about going through difficulties. Everything he said was good. Encouraging. But one thing in particular has stuck with me. When life gets tough, he said, we tend to ask questions. It's important that we ask the right one; and the right one isn't "Why is this happening to me?" or even "What am I learning through this?" The important question is "How - how can I get through this with Jesus?"

Gulp.

I'm sorry to say that question has never even skittered across my brain much less strolled or meandered, and it has definitely never knocked on the door and stayed for a visit.

Thanks, Rodney. Now that I've got the right question, maybe I'll be able to hear the answer.

Comments

  1. Commenting for two reasons...1)I like this post and what Rodney said about getting through it with Jesus. Thanks for posting it. It was something I needed to hear...2) Just letting you know that I'm reading your posts. Keep writing. It's good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God