Skip to main content

Conferences

Conferences, they're all over the place. There's a conference for every profession, hobby, and support group. Don't you wonder what happens at some of these conferences? I've heard that there's a conference for mail men (mail persons?). I can't imagine on what topics their main speakers choose to wax eloquent or what their breakout sessions might include: How To Dress Dog Bite Wounds, Tips for Smooshing Large Packages into Small Mailboxes, or maybe Creative Places to Put Packages that Don't Fit in the Box (even after you've tried smooshing them).

I head out tomorrow for the Missouri Writers' Guild Conference. I don't have a clue what the itinerary of the weekend will be. I just know I'm supposed to register between 3 and 6pm. I attended the Columbia Chapter of the Missouri Writers' Guild conference back in October. It was my first writers' conference. Typically, writers tend to be introverts rather than extroverts, right? That's part of the strength of being a writer. An extrovert couldn't stand all those hours alone with only his/her computer for company. There's a difference between being shy and being an introvert. I'm an introvert, but I'm not shy. Fortunately, most of the attendees at the October conference weren't shy either, so I had the pleasure of meeting a number of other individuals with the same passion. However, when it came to lunch, I somehow found a seat that was surrounded by shy introverts. I was able to get conversation going here and there, but it was like pushing a ball uphill. I'd give it a push and it appeared to be going somewhere only to stall and then roll backwards right into my lap again.

Another thing I've noticed about writers is that typically, they're not speakers. I've noticed this at conferences other than the writers' conference. It's fairly common to invite someone whose written a cutting edge or dynamic book to speak. Some are multi-talented and can both write and speak. Others stumble around their words or in their speaking, they merely repeat everything that they'd written in the book. I attended one conference where the speaker read his entire speech. He was obviously a writer, not a speaker.

I'm looking forward to this time away: what I'll learn, who I'll meet, and the time alone to read and, of course, write.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Believing the Lies

My husband and I recently watched The Help - a story about a group of African American women who worked as maids in Jackson, Mississippi in the '60s. One of the protagonists works for a woman "who got no b'ness havin' babies." This woman, this family maid and nanny, tells her little two year old ward regularly, "You is pretty. You is smart. You is impor'ant." How difficult it is for us to believe that about ourselves - really, to believe anything good about ourselves. I always try to be my raw self when I write a blog post. Today is no exception. So I confess that I've been drowning in a storm of lies lately. My head knows they're lies, and I could easily tell anyone else in the same place that they're lies, but I haven't been able to get a grip. There have been so many of them coming at me at once. It seems that I just break the surface, gulp some fresh air of truth then get pulled back under. One thing I know: the enemy of our ...

Christ In You

My husband and I had dinner the other night with some dear friends. Our conversation didn't exactly meander to the topic of God. It was more like it burst into it with both guns blazing, although now, I can't stop my thoughts from meandering back to one simple phrase that our friend said: Christ in me . Several years ago I went through a season of reading the works of some Christian mystics, desert fathers and mothers as they are sometimes called because they separated themselves from their culture and lived in the desert to more effectively spend time with God without the distractions of city life. I read quite a bit of Jeanne Guyon. She obviously loved God deeply, and I learned a lot from her writings, but there was one phrase that she couldn't seem to emphasize enough, and it always bothered me - look within yourself to find God (sounds a little new-agey, doesn't it?) Honestly, the thought has been repulsive to me. It's so contrary to our modern Christian thoug...

The Lost Cells

Over the past seven months, I have had to force my brain to think in ways previously foreign to it. Due to the responsibilities of my day-job, I've been compeled to think like a computer program. This has not been an easy task for one such as myself. My motto when it comes to learning new software has always been, "you figure it out then just tell me what to do." Now that I have climbed the mountain, crossed the desert, and traversed the wasteland of setting up and learning new software on my own, I have come to the momentous conclusion that I was right - You figure it out and just tell me what to do. I tell you all this as an excuse for my lack of a blog this week (does writing a blog about not writing a blog negate my claim that I didn't write a blog?). The gears that churn inside my head aren't rusty, they've melted together from over-use and can no longer move. My normal brain-cells have been pummeled, tortured, twisted, stomped upon, and ground into sens...