Skip to main content

Just Write

So you want to be a writer? Well sit down. Close the door. And write.

This may sound terribly elementary, but if you want to be a writer, you have to write. Singers sing. Teachers teach. Musicians play their instruments; and writers write. There's so much to learn about the craft, the skill. There's so much to learn about marketing and networking, but those things are superfluous. Sure, you need them to get published; but they aren't the heart of it. Marketing isn't what moves you. Networking isn't the unquenchable flame that causes your soul to swell, that brings you to the point of bursting when your words have been imprisoned for too long.

I'm preaching to myself here. My first book is about half written. I am filled with cacoethes for it to perfectly represent the story that lives in me. I must have characters that are engaging, easy to befriend (or hate), cheer on, laugh with, cry with, rejoice with. The plot has to be filled with suspense, humor, creativity, and believability so much so that I find myself using a nit comb as I read and re-read what I've already written, tearing apart dialogue, paragraphs, sentences, and individual words. It has to be just right, but what does that matter if the story is never fully realized? How disappointing is a well-written half-story with no climax and no conclusion!

Answer: VERY!

I think I'll go off-line now and open up Word.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Believing the Lies

My husband and I recently watched The Help - a story about a group of African American women who worked as maids in Jackson, Mississippi in the '60s. One of the protagonists works for a woman "who got no b'ness havin' babies." This woman, this family maid and nanny, tells her little two year old ward regularly, "You is pretty. You is smart. You is impor'ant." How difficult it is for us to believe that about ourselves - really, to believe anything good about ourselves. I always try to be my raw self when I write a blog post. Today is no exception. So I confess that I've been drowning in a storm of lies lately. My head knows they're lies, and I could easily tell anyone else in the same place that they're lies, but I haven't been able to get a grip. There have been so many of them coming at me at once. It seems that I just break the surface, gulp some fresh air of truth then get pulled back under. One thing I know: the enemy of our ...

Christ In You

My husband and I had dinner the other night with some dear friends. Our conversation didn't exactly meander to the topic of God. It was more like it burst into it with both guns blazing, although now, I can't stop my thoughts from meandering back to one simple phrase that our friend said: Christ in me . Several years ago I went through a season of reading the works of some Christian mystics, desert fathers and mothers as they are sometimes called because they separated themselves from their culture and lived in the desert to more effectively spend time with God without the distractions of city life. I read quite a bit of Jeanne Guyon. She obviously loved God deeply, and I learned a lot from her writings, but there was one phrase that she couldn't seem to emphasize enough, and it always bothered me - look within yourself to find God (sounds a little new-agey, doesn't it?) Honestly, the thought has been repulsive to me. It's so contrary to our modern Christian thoug...

The Lost Cells

Over the past seven months, I have had to force my brain to think in ways previously foreign to it. Due to the responsibilities of my day-job, I've been compeled to think like a computer program. This has not been an easy task for one such as myself. My motto when it comes to learning new software has always been, "you figure it out then just tell me what to do." Now that I have climbed the mountain, crossed the desert, and traversed the wasteland of setting up and learning new software on my own, I have come to the momentous conclusion that I was right - You figure it out and just tell me what to do. I tell you all this as an excuse for my lack of a blog this week (does writing a blog about not writing a blog negate my claim that I didn't write a blog?). The gears that churn inside my head aren't rusty, they've melted together from over-use and can no longer move. My normal brain-cells have been pummeled, tortured, twisted, stomped upon, and ground into sens...