Skip to main content

Jack Bauer Isn't Real?

I read on someone's blog this week that Jack Bauer isn't real (http://bradclemons.blogspot.com) You can imagine my horror at such a suggestion! Without Jack, America as we know it, would have been destroyed seven times over (and counting).

I love super heroes like Jack: Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Ironman, John McClane, Frodo. The list goes on and on. Why? Why do I come away from super-hero movies sighing in contentment? Why does everything in my world align when a super -hero saves the day? I know the plot is unreal. I know the feats are ridiculous, but I can't help it. These are "feel-good" movies, and I love them. I suppose I could blame it on my brother, Ed, who was an avid Batman fan in the 60's. With only one TV (gasp!), and Ed being my older brother, I either watched Batman or started on homework. Which of those would you choose? So I became an addict in my formative years. Thanks Ed. I'm truly grateful.

Super heros give hope. Sure, the actuality of a super hero is absurd, but nevertheless, their message is clear: in the end, good conquers evil. Super heros take a beating as they fight for truth and justice, but they persevere; they prevail; they win. There comes a time in every hero v villian movie when the villian has the upper hand. The hero is trapped in a madman's diabolical clutches with no apparent means of escape. There he is, he dangles above a vat of boiling oil. The rope that holds him is slowly lowering him into the vat, so he can die a slow painful death one inch at a time. His feet are a milimeter from the surface of the oil. All is surely lost! But wait! Just in the nick of time, he frees his hands! He pulls himself up the rope that had been lowering him to his death. Ah! Sweet safety! But the story isn't over yet. There's still a villian to be caught, and our hero will catch him. Rest assured, he will definitely catch him.

Maybe I love super hero stories because I love metaphors; and super hero movies are metaphors. Metaphors for life itself - life beneath the surface of our smiles. Very few of us will ever literally, physically fight evil, but each one of us fights it within ourselves every day. We see the fallout of lost battles in our relationships and in our attitudes. We see the fallout from others' lost battles in the newspapers and on TV. We see fallout in the eyes of children living on the streets, babies addicted to crack before they're even born. Yeah. We definitely need the hope that super heros give, and amazingly that hope isn't in vain. It rarely looks like God is going to win. As a matter of fact, it often looks like Evil has God tied up and hanging over a vat of boiling oil, but God is the ultimate super hero; and in the end, He wins.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Believing the Lies

My husband and I recently watched The Help - a story about a group of African American women who worked as maids in Jackson, Mississippi in the '60s. One of the protagonists works for a woman "who got no b'ness havin' babies." This woman, this family maid and nanny, tells her little two year old ward regularly, "You is pretty. You is smart. You is impor'ant." How difficult it is for us to believe that about ourselves - really, to believe anything good about ourselves. I always try to be my raw self when I write a blog post. Today is no exception. So I confess that I've been drowning in a storm of lies lately. My head knows they're lies, and I could easily tell anyone else in the same place that they're lies, but I haven't been able to get a grip. There have been so many of them coming at me at once. It seems that I just break the surface, gulp some fresh air of truth then get pulled back under. One thing I know: the enemy of our ...

Christ In You

My husband and I had dinner the other night with some dear friends. Our conversation didn't exactly meander to the topic of God. It was more like it burst into it with both guns blazing, although now, I can't stop my thoughts from meandering back to one simple phrase that our friend said: Christ in me . Several years ago I went through a season of reading the works of some Christian mystics, desert fathers and mothers as they are sometimes called because they separated themselves from their culture and lived in the desert to more effectively spend time with God without the distractions of city life. I read quite a bit of Jeanne Guyon. She obviously loved God deeply, and I learned a lot from her writings, but there was one phrase that she couldn't seem to emphasize enough, and it always bothered me - look within yourself to find God (sounds a little new-agey, doesn't it?) Honestly, the thought has been repulsive to me. It's so contrary to our modern Christian thoug...

The Lost Cells

Over the past seven months, I have had to force my brain to think in ways previously foreign to it. Due to the responsibilities of my day-job, I've been compeled to think like a computer program. This has not been an easy task for one such as myself. My motto when it comes to learning new software has always been, "you figure it out then just tell me what to do." Now that I have climbed the mountain, crossed the desert, and traversed the wasteland of setting up and learning new software on my own, I have come to the momentous conclusion that I was right - You figure it out and just tell me what to do. I tell you all this as an excuse for my lack of a blog this week (does writing a blog about not writing a blog negate my claim that I didn't write a blog?). The gears that churn inside my head aren't rusty, they've melted together from over-use and can no longer move. My normal brain-cells have been pummeled, tortured, twisted, stomped upon, and ground into sens...