Skip to main content

Struggling Against the Wind

Have you ever noticed that life can be hard? I know, amazing revelation there, but I'm pretty sure it's true. Just when you think things are finally going your way - BAM! You get hit with another one. I've come to the point where if I have that thought - that, "hey life isn't so bad right now" thought - my next thought is "uh oh. Why did I just think that?" as if not recognizing a current lack of difficulties could ward off future difficulties.

In Mark 6, the disciples are out on the lake in a storm, and Jesus isn't with them. He actually told them to cross the lake without Him (The Message translation says He insisted), and when they're "far out to sea," the wind picks up against them. Jesus, who is waaayyyy back on land, "could see His men struggling with the oars." So He comes walking on by, and scares His disciples half to death. When Jesus sees that they're afraid, He comforts them immediately and climbs into the boat. The wind dies down, and they cross the rest of the way in peace.

Have you ever been "far out to sea," doing exactly what you're sure God has asked you to do when the winds pick up? You're frantically rowing, doing everything you can think of to stay on course, but the forces against you are just too strong? You're exhausted from trying. You wonder what you did wrong. "Was it even God Who wanted me to do this?" you ask. You're confused, maybe even angry or depressed. Definitely frustrated.

At least you're in good company. I have a funny feeling that those same thoughts went through the disciples' heads. And even though it seems that Jesus is waaaayyyy back on land, He sees you, and He'll walk on water through the storm to come to you. You may not recognize Him at first, but He'll be quick to comfort you . . . and to climb into your boat - and with Jesus in your boat, there's not much else that matters. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Believing the Lies

My husband and I recently watched The Help - a story about a group of African American women who worked as maids in Jackson, Mississippi in the '60s. One of the protagonists works for a woman "who got no b'ness havin' babies." This woman, this family maid and nanny, tells her little two year old ward regularly, "You is pretty. You is smart. You is impor'ant." How difficult it is for us to believe that about ourselves - really, to believe anything good about ourselves. I always try to be my raw self when I write a blog post. Today is no exception. So I confess that I've been drowning in a storm of lies lately. My head knows they're lies, and I could easily tell anyone else in the same place that they're lies, but I haven't been able to get a grip. There have been so many of them coming at me at once. It seems that I just break the surface, gulp some fresh air of truth then get pulled back under. One thing I know: the enemy of our ...

Christ In You

My husband and I had dinner the other night with some dear friends. Our conversation didn't exactly meander to the topic of God. It was more like it burst into it with both guns blazing, although now, I can't stop my thoughts from meandering back to one simple phrase that our friend said: Christ in me . Several years ago I went through a season of reading the works of some Christian mystics, desert fathers and mothers as they are sometimes called because they separated themselves from their culture and lived in the desert to more effectively spend time with God without the distractions of city life. I read quite a bit of Jeanne Guyon. She obviously loved God deeply, and I learned a lot from her writings, but there was one phrase that she couldn't seem to emphasize enough, and it always bothered me - look within yourself to find God (sounds a little new-agey, doesn't it?) Honestly, the thought has been repulsive to me. It's so contrary to our modern Christian thoug...

The Lost Cells

Over the past seven months, I have had to force my brain to think in ways previously foreign to it. Due to the responsibilities of my day-job, I've been compeled to think like a computer program. This has not been an easy task for one such as myself. My motto when it comes to learning new software has always been, "you figure it out then just tell me what to do." Now that I have climbed the mountain, crossed the desert, and traversed the wasteland of setting up and learning new software on my own, I have come to the momentous conclusion that I was right - You figure it out and just tell me what to do. I tell you all this as an excuse for my lack of a blog this week (does writing a blog about not writing a blog negate my claim that I didn't write a blog?). The gears that churn inside my head aren't rusty, they've melted together from over-use and can no longer move. My normal brain-cells have been pummeled, tortured, twisted, stomped upon, and ground into sens...