Skip to main content

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16).

Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day.

As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12).
Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right?
Nope, I'm talkin' to you.

Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp.

What does God think about these odds? That 32,000 Israelites is too many, so He tells Gideon to send 22,000 home (personally, I'd have voted to send the enemy home, but hey that's just me). Apparently 22,000 is still too many, because He cuts another 9,700. Gideon is left with 300 men -- against an army like locust in number and with camels that number the sands of the sea.
Seriously, God?

1% - That's all Gideon has left of his too-small-to-start-with army.
And God thinks that it's enough.

Have you ever felt like Gideon? I have. I do. Today. Yesterday. Last week. Last month. Pretty much most of this year, and as I live out life with friends and family, I know I'm not alone. He's taking away things that have been my security and comfort. Things that I have relied on, depended on for my peace, my sanity, even my hope. Some days I look around and I cry out, "when, Lord?! When are You going to DO something here?!"

I don't really want God to take me down to 1%. It doesn't feel good. I don't like feeling weak or needy. I hate this whole pruning thing; but when I look at little-nobody-Gideon and what God did with him and through him (spoiler: the Israelites won a smashing victory), I can't help but wonder - and be excited about - what God plans to do with my 1%.

Comments

  1. God is SO amazing! I hope you find out His blessing for you through this sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Believing the Lies

My husband and I recently watched The Help - a story about a group of African American women who worked as maids in Jackson, Mississippi in the '60s. One of the protagonists works for a woman "who got no b'ness havin' babies." This woman, this family maid and nanny, tells her little two year old ward regularly, "You is pretty. You is smart. You is impor'ant." How difficult it is for us to believe that about ourselves - really, to believe anything good about ourselves. I always try to be my raw self when I write a blog post. Today is no exception. So I confess that I've been drowning in a storm of lies lately. My head knows they're lies, and I could easily tell anyone else in the same place that they're lies, but I haven't been able to get a grip. There have been so many of them coming at me at once. It seems that I just break the surface, gulp some fresh air of truth then get pulled back under. One thing I know: the enemy of our ...

Christ In You

My husband and I had dinner the other night with some dear friends. Our conversation didn't exactly meander to the topic of God. It was more like it burst into it with both guns blazing, although now, I can't stop my thoughts from meandering back to one simple phrase that our friend said: Christ in me . Several years ago I went through a season of reading the works of some Christian mystics, desert fathers and mothers as they are sometimes called because they separated themselves from their culture and lived in the desert to more effectively spend time with God without the distractions of city life. I read quite a bit of Jeanne Guyon. She obviously loved God deeply, and I learned a lot from her writings, but there was one phrase that she couldn't seem to emphasize enough, and it always bothered me - look within yourself to find God (sounds a little new-agey, doesn't it?) Honestly, the thought has been repulsive to me. It's so contrary to our modern Christian thoug...

The Lost Cells

Over the past seven months, I have had to force my brain to think in ways previously foreign to it. Due to the responsibilities of my day-job, I've been compeled to think like a computer program. This has not been an easy task for one such as myself. My motto when it comes to learning new software has always been, "you figure it out then just tell me what to do." Now that I have climbed the mountain, crossed the desert, and traversed the wasteland of setting up and learning new software on my own, I have come to the momentous conclusion that I was right - You figure it out and just tell me what to do. I tell you all this as an excuse for my lack of a blog this week (does writing a blog about not writing a blog negate my claim that I didn't write a blog?). The gears that churn inside my head aren't rusty, they've melted together from over-use and can no longer move. My normal brain-cells have been pummeled, tortured, twisted, stomped upon, and ground into sens...