Skip to main content

The Shepherds

The night was clear and cool. A welcome relief from the heat of the day. Stars sprinkled the sky like salt, and we could see for miles from our post on the hills outside the city.

"Did I tell you about my little Hezekiah?” I asked.

“What could there possibly be that you haven’t told us about your ‘little Hezekiah’? You talk about him every night. Even the sheep are tired of hearing about that boy.” My friend answered.

“If you had a boy like my Hezekiah, you’d talk about him every night too. You’re jealous of me because I have a son, and all you’ve produced are girls. Who will take care of your flock when you grow too old, eh, Daniel? Who?”
“My girls are fine and strong. They will make excellent shepherdesses. Even so, I’m still young and viral. Miriam is with child again and the Lord may see fit to give me a son this time. Then you will be the jealous one!”

“Why would I be jealous of your son? I have a boy of my own who can do anything he puts his mind to.” Daniel and I bantered like this every night. It was the way of our friendship.

“Can you two not have one night – just one night- without arguing about something? I think I will take my sheep to another hill just to be away from the sound of your voices!” Poor Lazarus, he hated listening to our friendly disagreements.

As the night wore on, the temperature began to fall. We moved around, each of us checking on our own sheep. We met again sometime around midnight to enjoy the libations our wives had prepared for us. We ate in silence, enjoying the beauty of the night.

“The sky is glorious tonight, is it not?” I mused.

“I don’t remember the last time a night was as clear as this. Can you count the stars, Abraham? There must be thousands and thousands; but look at the one that shines over the city. It carries the light of a thousand tiny stars. Have you ever seen such a thing?” Lazarus asked. We all looked to the star of which he spoke.

As we studied it, a great light pierced the night sky, knocking us to the ground. We lay there, covering our faces, not daring to look.

None of us spoke, but I could feel the fear of my friends as palpably as I felt my own. What was happening? A powerful voice spoke to us out of the brilliance. “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy that will be for all the people.” I chanced a peek and saw, standing before us, a man, yet not a man. Pure white light emanated from his robes. His face was radiant with joy – indescribable joy. It was an angel! An angel stood before us! He continued. “For unto you is born this day in the city of David, a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.”

The Savior? Did he just say “the Savior?”

As he finished his proclamation, a multitude of heavenly beings appeared and surrounded him in the night sky. We could no longer see the stars or darkness of night for the brightness that radiated from the angels. They broke out in song. A sense of unparalleled jubilation filled the air and reached deep into my soul.

We began to worship with the angels. We were compelled to worship. “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased.”

The singing suddenly stopped. We were once again alone on the mountain. I lifted my head and looked around. The night continued on as before. Nothing had changed. Had I dreamed it? Could I dream such a thing? I glanced over at my friends. They both knelt with their faces to the ground. I could see their bodies still trembling.

“Daniel, Lazarus”I whispered. They slowly lifted their heads and sat back. A sense of awe filled our hearts. The joy of the angels lingered, and we basked in it.

Finally I spoke. “Did the angel truly say that the Savior is born?”

“Yes. Yes he did.” Daniel answered me. Lazarus nodded his agreement.

“So we were just visited by an angel who spoke to us and told us that THE Savior was born; and then a host of angels appeared with him, singing of the glory of God? Am I dreaming and you’re both in my dream or is this real? Did this really just happen to us – to shepherds?” My heart pounded within me as the meaning of the angel’s words began to take hold. Daniel and Lazarus both nodded yes to my question. We stared at each other for a moment.

I burst out in laughter and jumped up, dancing. I couldn’t be still with such music in my heart! Daniel and Lazarus joined me. Joy overcame us. We were giddy with it. We sang. We danced. We twirled and ran around. We yelled out, unable to contain the thrill within our souls.

“Wait! What are we doing?” I yelled out as the words of the angel came back to me. We all stopped. “The angel told us that the Savior was born this day in the City of David. It’s the star – the star hovers over the crib of the newborn Savior King. What are we doing here?!”

We took off running towards the star, trusting our sheep to Yahweh’s hands, certain that He who sent angels to tell us of the birth would watch over our charges while we went to see the long-awaited Messiah.

Although the city was crowded because of the census, it was easy to find the babe. The star guided us straight to him. He was wrapped in strips of cloth as the angel had said, and he lay in a feeding trough in a stable. We stood in the doorway, staring at the child, scarcely able to take in the magnitude of the scene before us. A sense of peace and joy even more intense than that which the angels had brought was here in this place, in this stable. The baby’s mother beckoned us in, and we fell to our knees before this tiny child who would, we knew, some day wear a crown.

Comments

  1. Wow, great job, Lor. Would you be able to expound on the scene at the manger? When we were talking the other day you seemed to have a particular awareness, or sense, of how it must have felt to be the shepherds being in the barn, looking down at THE savior. I would love to hear you describe that feeling.

    You've definitely drawn me into the story here...just don't stop! :)

    Great job love!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God