Skip to main content

Believing the Lies

My husband and I recently watched The Help - a story about a group of African American women who worked as maids in Jackson, Mississippi in the '60s. One of the protagonists works for a woman "who got no b'ness havin' babies." This woman, this family maid and nanny, tells her little two year old ward regularly, "You is pretty. You is smart. You is impor'ant."

How difficult it is for us to believe that about ourselves - really, to believe anything good about ourselves. I always try to be my raw self when I write a blog post. Today is no exception. So I confess that I've been drowning in a storm of lies lately. My head knows they're lies, and I could easily tell anyone else in the same place that they're lies, but I haven't been able to get a grip. There have been so many of them coming at me at once. It seems that I just break the surface, gulp some fresh air of truth then get pulled back under.

One thing I know: the enemy of our souls is relentless. He is tireless in making us miserable and despairing. He will do whatever it takes to warp the truth, to make lies believable, to keep us from peace, from joy, from living our lives to our fullest faith.

I decided to write down a few of the lies I've been smacked around with lately. Maybe some of these resonate with you:
* The man-pleaser lie - I work for a man. I have to do everything I can to please my boss and keep him happy. If something isn't right, it's my fault.
The truth? I work for God, to please Him alone
* The you're-not-good-enough lie - You're not like everyone else, therefore, you're not as good as everyone else.
The truth? I am who God made me to be, and if who I am is good enough for God, it's good enough PERIOD.
* The excpectations-of-others lie - I have to do everything everyone asks me to do, explicitly or implicitly. Lunches, dinners, mentor, go to meetings about this and that and everything in between, be involved everywhere.
The truth - I answer to God and no one else.
* The crazy-schedule lie - If you have time to breath, something is wrong with you. To spend time alone, to have quiet in your life, is one of the seven deadly sins.
The truth - I spend my time in obedience to the One I serve regardless of what others think.
* The purpose-in-life lie - I have to have my children and grandchildren nearby to be fulfilled. I have to serve them hands-on, regularly, to fulfill my purpose in life.
The truth -my purpose in life is different than it was ten years ago, not eliminated just because I no longer see them every day.

If you noticed, every lie is about doing something. When, oh when, will I ever remember that with God, it's always about being...being with Him, being in Him?

My daughter sent me a link to a blog the other day. I posted the link on Face Book, so you may have gone there already. The blog is about the Proverbs 31 woman - the one most Christian women despise because we can't live up to her standards. I encourage you to read it (again) and start believing the truth. "Eshet Chayil," Woman of Valor.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lie I am being told is, "You are not a good enough writer to respond to this well written blog." So I tried, and then could not figure out how to post my comment. Now the lie I'm being told is, "You are too old to figure out how to post on this blog!"
    For my fourth attempt my comment is that, "As I get older, I am learning more each day that God REALLY did create us each to be different. Too many years I tried to DO everything and to BE everything to others like I saw others doing. Now with a handicap maybe God is getting through to me, that I am to be who HE created me to be in each season of my life. And THIS is what pleases HIM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, YOU DID IT, ALICE!! You posted your comment! Woo-hoo!

      Second, wow. Thank you for sharing that. It's encouraging to know that God will do whatever it takes for us to be okay with who He made us to be. I hope everyone reads your comment!

      Delete
  4. RE: crazy schedule lie: (apparently) the chinese characters for busy are 'heart' 'killer'. thats some truth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! I do not want to be live the life of a heart-killer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear God, how well you can use my sister and niece to speak to my heart! Thank you!

    I have spent many tears this evening over some hurtful remarks at work to come home to a house that (apparently) belongs to my dogs. No husband around as he is on the road for business. But, there is a Spirit right here, right now. And He is witnessing His love through this blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God