Skip to main content

I Remember

I remember that Florida vacation when my brother, Dave, and I played in the ocean. A wave knocked us both down, and he landed on my leg, twisting my knee painfully. My dad carried me the rest of the week whenever we had any distance to walk. I was twelve and thoroughly embarrassed. Now it's one of my most treasured memories of my dad. He died five years later.

I remember my last vacation with my dad. We went to Washington, D.C. He was so sick, but he refused to accept defeat.

I remember my dad laughing at a remark that Dave made about the quality of McDonald's hamburgers. He laughed so hard he cried. I'd never seen him do that before.

I remember taking my Donald Duck umbrella outside on a windy day and trying to fly like Mary Poppins (it didn't work).

I remember my brother, Ed, watching Batman. I thought it was a stupid show, and with only one TV and Ed being the oldest, he got to watch what he wanted to watch. I was out of luck - no Gilligan's Island for me.

I remember drawing an imaginary line down the middle of our double bed, so that my sister, Connie, and I would each stay on our half.

I remember Connie crossing that line when she came home late from babysitting or a date and putting her cold feet on my legs.

I remember making beds out of our lawn chairs so my three sisters and I could sleep on the screened-in porch in the heat of summer before we had air-conditioning.

I remember stealing coins out of my mom's purse. I'd use them as the eyes, nose, and mouth on faces I'd draw and then give to her as gifts.

I remember the first day I got to decide for myself what I would wear.

I remember my sister, Judy, spitting toothpaste into my hair when we both bent over the bathroom sink to spit at the same time.

I remember my sister, Debbie, and my dad's relationship. I think he liked her best. She would be silly with him.

I remember all eight of us playing games some nights after dinner.

I remember growing up in a home filled with imperfect people, but they were people who loved each other. . . and I will be forever grateful for that.

Comments

  1. I'm soooo glad you didn't write about what a mean big sis I was to you in so many ways. My heart still aches at some of the ways I took advantage of you. "Imperfect" sounds so minor to how I acted sometimes. But you know what? God is God and somehow He managed to let you know I really was, and am now more than ever, your biggest fan who loves you purely and deeply.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God