Skip to main content

As Hollywood Goes, So Goes The World

Although few of us want to admit it, and I'm sure we all want to believe that we're above this, I think we're all influenced by the big screen. Face it, it's mezmerizing: those perfect bodies, beautiful faces, and predictable outcomes. We all wish our lives followed a Hollywood script and that someone could airbrush away our physcial defects (and maybe a few extra pounds): a smaller, straighter nose, a longer, slimmer, more curvaceous waist, muscles that were a tad more defined, etc. Alas, though all of life may be a stage, the lighting experts and make-up artists aren't included in the ticket price. Still, we try to mimick as best we can, and although a select few may come close to imitating Hollywood beauty physically, our lives themselves can't be so easily controlled.

I love a feel-good movie as much as anyone. Superheros who save the day, no matter how unrealistic the rescue, make me cheer. I'll walk out of the theater with a smile on my face and a lightness in my step - the woes of life forgotten for at least a little while.

As long as we're able to distinguish between reality and Hollywood script, I think we're okay. When we begin to believe, albeit unknowingly, that what we see on the screen is how life is and should be, that's when we're in trouble.

When our kids were still under our watch and we had a say in their entertainment choices, we weren't nearly as concerned with movies/shows that contained violence as we were with ones that were laced with sexual inuendos. Why? The repercussions of getting in a fight were obvious: broken ribs and bloody noses. The repercussions of sex outside of marriage were not.

So here I am back at "Connectedness" as promised last week.

We want to believe that, just like Hollywood portrays it, sex has no deeper meaning than physical pleasure. There is nothing emotional that takes place. We want to believe that freedom is sleeping around, never being "tied down" to any one partner, having fun without a deeper connection. The problem is that it's just not possible and it's not supposed to be. Like it or not, sex is meant to be an expression of a deep connection between a husband and wife. It's meant to be the culmination of two hearts that are already one. It is much more than a physical act. It's a deep, emotional connection. It's a giving of the most private, most intimate part of yourself to another person - how can that NOT be emotional?

I find it interesting that Hollywood plays two sides and we believe them both:
a.)That premarital sex means nothing. You can sleep with all your friends and still be friends without any weirdness to your relationship. Afterall, it was just a physical act - kind of like shaking hands.
b.)That when a husband or wife sleeps with someone other than their spouse, it's a betrayal of the worst kind, so . . .
Sex outside of marriage means nothing but sex within marriage is sacred. The problem with this thinking is that you take yourself and all your experiences everywhere you go. So the single person who slept around for fun and later marries, somehow suddenly holds sex sacred? Even if they know this in theory, when facing a difficult time in their marriage, theory doesn't cut it.

It's not sex within marriage that is sacred. No, sex is sacred. Period. God created it. It's His gift to those who commit their lives to each other in marriage, and it's only in the freedom of the marriage vows - over a lifetime - that anyone can ever know the depths of connectedness that God intended for us long before Hollywood even existed.

Comments

  1. Exceptionally well-written, LP! Wow. Makes me review past and present marriages in my own life. Especially to Jim, where sex was abusive; the marriage had no true love. And how very long it took for me to forgive him. I'm so amazed at how God has kept me so close thoughout my life. Thank you for your wise words.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God