Skip to main content

Thou Shalt Not Covet . . . Seriously?

How the heck are we supposed to obey that one - especially living in America where coveting is virtually the national past time?

As a product of the parochial school system, I studied the ten commandments every year in religion class. Number nine (for Catholics, number ten for just about everyone else) always caused me consternation. How can I possibly control what I want and what I don't want? Teacher after teacher after teacher explained it to us. Without fail, the explanation was that "to covet" meant to want something excessively; to want something more than just a casual "boy, Melissa's got a sweet car. I'd love to have me one of them." They said that coveting implies obsessing over someone else's something, someone else's anything. While this is true, I think they missed the most important point.

What does it matter to God if I really really want a car like Melissa's? If that's all the further it goes? If I don't cross a line? If I don't do anything about it? If I don't lie, steal, or cheat to get one? If all I do is want it, why would God care so much that He made it one of the ten commandments?

Because He loves us.

Fourteen years ago, I went back to work full time. My kids were twelve and ten - sixth and fourth graders, respectively. I had never had any grand career plans. The only thing I'd ever wanted to do, to be, was a wife and mother. I wanted four kids. I wanted to stay home full time and do all the mom-things that I loved to do: keep a our house homey - a place where my husband and children wanted to be, a place where my kids' friends wanted to be. I wanted to drive on field trips, bake cookies, be a room-mother for my kids' classes, etc. etc. Working full time was nowhere on my radar. Oh I went to college, but only because I figured I needed to do something before I started having kids.

I have struggled A LOT over the past fourteen years with coveting my neighbors' lives. The solid friendships I had made during my pre-full-time work years have suffered. Each of these ladies is still a very dear friend, but I don't have the time or energy to give to these relationships like I used to. What makes it really hard is that they are all still stay-at-home moms. They live the life that has been in my heart since I was a very little girl. . . and so I have coveted their lives. I've cried out to God over and over and over and over again. My husband has told me I can quit. That somehow we'll make it. But I can't quit because I know. I KNOW I'm not supposed to. I'm doing what God has for me to do right now and what He's had for me to do these past fourteen years.

I've learned a lot through these years about trusting God. About letting go of what I think is best and believing that He knows best. My coveting is down to a minimum, but periodically things happen that cause it to trickle back in. I spoke with one of those pre-full-time work friends the other day for almost two hours. Not only is she still outside the American work-force, but she lives in a perpetually sunny climate in a beautiful home with a beautiful view. On top of that, I happened to see some pictures of the first home of a young couple that Marc and I did pre-marital counseling with. It was huge and gorgeous. Enter covetousness.

My life is rich with family and friends. I never go hungry. I am loved and I love others. It's only when I look at what others have that I become discontent.

So why did God tell us not to covet?

Because He loves us. Because it's what is best for us. It's what brings us to and keeps us in a place of contentment in our life. It's not one of the big ten because God is some control freak. It's there because His heart is so for us. He so desires that our joy go deeper than our skin, that we know true joy, that He only wants us to look to Him. When I take my eyes off of what I want but don't have and turn to Him and see Him looking back at me with all the love and tenderness of eternity, how can I possibly covet? I am my Beloved's and He is mine. There is nothing else worth wanting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God