Skip to main content

Will Your Kids Be Ready To Fly?

Not being extremely loquacious, I don't often stand on a soapbox and preach to the masses (or one or two hapless listeners for that matter). I'm amazed at the people in my life who can take fifteen minutes to expound a three sentence thought - and the ones who come immediately to mind are all men. However, periodically passion overtakes my personality and the words flow out unbidden, unrehearsed, and unexpected. This past Saturday such an occasion arose.

My friend and I were alone in the car for a little over two hours on the drive home from Kansas City. She, quite unknowingly I'm sure, brought up a subject that ignited my verbal juices.

The topic? Giving kids responsibility. Well, that's an easy one, right? Everyone knows that it's good to give kids responsibilities - the responsibility to walk and feed the dog, or brush their teeth every night, or do their homework, etc. Unfortunately, I see more and more parents who apparently believe that those tasks are at the upper end of their child's ability.

I don't have a degree in child or adolescent psychology, but after raising two of my own and working with several hundred teens over the past fourteen years, I can report the pattern that I've observed. Over and over and over and over again, the parents who demand nothing more from their teens than that they do their homework and stay out of trouble end up crippling them.

My first hint of this reality came through a friend of mine. Growing up, her parents handed her life on a silver spoon. She never had to work, never had to pay for her own clothes, her car, her insurance, her gas, nothing. As an adult, she couldn't work. She tried, but it caused so much stress that it affected her physically, and she had to quit. She had enjoyed her job, but she was crippled. She had never had to learn how to cope with the reality of life. Watching her go through this inspired me to stay strong, to determine that my kids would be prepared for life by the time they had to live it on their own.

That was just the beginning of the opening of my eyes. After that came the past fourteen years (and counting) of working with other people's teenagers. It honestly saddens my heart when I hear that so very few parents require their teen to pay for their own car insurance (did I just hear you gasp?!). Driving is an adult responsibility. Our society doesn't allow kids to drive, and for good reason! People have to be of a certain level of maturity before they can even practice their driving skills. When parents pay their kid's insurance (maybe even buy them a car), they've just placed driving on par with a bed to sleep in and food to eat. They've told their teen that they're entitled to it.

On the other hand, when parents require their teen to pay for their own insurance, their own cost to drive, they've handed them something of far greater worth than that monthly bill. They've just given that teen a parent's faith in their child. By requiring that their child carry the weight of responsibility, the parents have told their child that they believe in his or her maturity and strength of character. They've given them the responsibility to govern this area of their life and effectively told them they trust them to do it well.

Of course teens will complain and hate it at the time. Of course it will be hard for you as a parent to not cave, but do you really think your child will suddenly be a responsible adult at some magical age? Responsibility has to be taught - slowly and surely. It's not inborn. It's not the path of least resistance, which is the path we all naturally lean towards. Isn't the whole idea of raising kids to make them independent and self-sufficient? Challenge them to grow up, to be responsible for their life. Don't cripple them. Don't let their muscles atrophy. When it's time for them to leave home, make sure they're ready to fly.

Comments

  1. I agree with you. We were not allowed to get our license until we were ready to pay for our own insurance. One of the things I have learned from my parents is responsibility...teaching it to kids early makes a huge difference in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed...totally soapbox material!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God