Skip to main content

Joseph and Floyd - Two of My Heros

I grew up watching The Andy Griffith Show and Mayberry, R.F.D. My childhood in St. Louis was a pretty far cry from the small town life of Mayberry, but my parents taught me many of the same lessons that the folks in Mayberry learned each week in those early years of my life. Somehow, though, Andy, Opie, Aunt Bea, Goober, Floyd, Howard, and Helen made the lessons much more entertaining than my parents did.

There's one lesson that I can't quite get though. Remember Great-Great-Great Grandfather Seth? No? I'm not surprised. I doubt he was mentioned in any but the one episode that I recently watched. Apparently, Seth Taylor was one of the founding fathers of Mayberry, and the Mayberry of the 1960s decided to contract a stone-mason to make a statue to honor him.

Aunt Bea is flustered with joy over this honor until she and Andy find out that Great-Great-Great Grandfather Seth was, in truth, a swindler. He became a wealthy man through some insider knowledge. When the day comes to unveil the statue in the town center, Aunt Bea begins her speech. She's convinced herself that her ancestor's more unseemly side should remain hidden. After all, what purpose would it serve now to discredit him? Unfortunately, Aunt Bea's conscience isn't in full agreement with the decision, and she's unable to make it through her speech. Andy comes to her aid by excusing his aunt to the audience and calling a private meeting of "the committee."

Back in the courthouse, "the committee," learns of Seth Taylor's less-than-honorable dealings. They pace and fret and ponder what to do. They just spent $1200 on a statue to honor him. It's Floyd, the slow speaking barber who never seems to have a customer but some how makes a living, who saves the day. Floyd wanted the statue to be of his ancestor and has had an attitude throughout this particular episode. You would think this new information would be fuel for his fire. He has grounds for plenty of "I told you so's."

But this is Mayberry where people, with all their flaws and foolishness, still want what's best for everyone. So Floyd speaks up. He steps back and takes a look at the big picture. If it hadn't been for Seth Taylor's swindling ways, the main train depot would have come through Mayberry and Mayberry would have ended up as a big city - just like Mount Pilot (population - 20,000) - and that would have made all their lives very different and not very agreeable to any of them.

The episode reminded me of another, perhaps more familiar, story. It took place long before Uncle Seth or Mayberry came along. Ever since I read Joseph and The Coat of Many Colors in second grade, it's been one of my favorite stories, but no matter how many times I read it, I am always in awe of Joseph's response to his brothers in Genesis 50:19

"You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good."

At this point in the story, Jacob had just died. Joseph's brothers are now afraid of him. They think that Joseph had only been kind to them because of their father. Joseph has the power to make them slaves or even put them to death, and they know it; but they have nothing to fear. Joseph has truly forgiven them. He holds no grudge against them. He's forgotten the past and only sees the big picture. He only sees God in his life's story.

So there you have it, Joseph and Floyd. Two men who knew how to step back from their own personal pain, their own indignation and rejection, to dismiss it with a gentle wave of the hand and see the big picture, see only the good that came out of the bad.

I sincerely hope that some day I will grow up to be just like them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God