Skip to main content

Joseph and Floyd - Two of My Heros

I grew up watching The Andy Griffith Show and Mayberry, R.F.D. My childhood in St. Louis was a pretty far cry from the small town life of Mayberry, but my parents taught me many of the same lessons that the folks in Mayberry learned each week in those early years of my life. Somehow, though, Andy, Opie, Aunt Bea, Goober, Floyd, Howard, and Helen made the lessons much more entertaining than my parents did.

There's one lesson that I can't quite get though. Remember Great-Great-Great Grandfather Seth? No? I'm not surprised. I doubt he was mentioned in any but the one episode that I recently watched. Apparently, Seth Taylor was one of the founding fathers of Mayberry, and the Mayberry of the 1960s decided to contract a stone-mason to make a statue to honor him.

Aunt Bea is flustered with joy over this honor until she and Andy find out that Great-Great-Great Grandfather Seth was, in truth, a swindler. He became a wealthy man through some insider knowledge. When the day comes to unveil the statue in the town center, Aunt Bea begins her speech. She's convinced herself that her ancestor's more unseemly side should remain hidden. After all, what purpose would it serve now to discredit him? Unfortunately, Aunt Bea's conscience isn't in full agreement with the decision, and she's unable to make it through her speech. Andy comes to her aid by excusing his aunt to the audience and calling a private meeting of "the committee."

Back in the courthouse, "the committee," learns of Seth Taylor's less-than-honorable dealings. They pace and fret and ponder what to do. They just spent $1200 on a statue to honor him. It's Floyd, the slow speaking barber who never seems to have a customer but some how makes a living, who saves the day. Floyd wanted the statue to be of his ancestor and has had an attitude throughout this particular episode. You would think this new information would be fuel for his fire. He has grounds for plenty of "I told you so's."

But this is Mayberry where people, with all their flaws and foolishness, still want what's best for everyone. So Floyd speaks up. He steps back and takes a look at the big picture. If it hadn't been for Seth Taylor's swindling ways, the main train depot would have come through Mayberry and Mayberry would have ended up as a big city - just like Mount Pilot (population - 20,000) - and that would have made all their lives very different and not very agreeable to any of them.

The episode reminded me of another, perhaps more familiar, story. It took place long before Uncle Seth or Mayberry came along. Ever since I read Joseph and The Coat of Many Colors in second grade, it's been one of my favorite stories, but no matter how many times I read it, I am always in awe of Joseph's response to his brothers in Genesis 50:19

"You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good."

At this point in the story, Jacob had just died. Joseph's brothers are now afraid of him. They think that Joseph had only been kind to them because of their father. Joseph has the power to make them slaves or even put them to death, and they know it; but they have nothing to fear. Joseph has truly forgiven them. He holds no grudge against them. He's forgotten the past and only sees the big picture. He only sees God in his life's story.

So there you have it, Joseph and Floyd. Two men who knew how to step back from their own personal pain, their own indignation and rejection, to dismiss it with a gentle wave of the hand and see the big picture, see only the good that came out of the bad.

I sincerely hope that some day I will grow up to be just like them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ In You

My husband and I had dinner the other night with some dear friends. Our conversation didn't exactly meander to the topic of God. It was more like it burst into it with both guns blazing, although now, I can't stop my thoughts from meandering back to one simple phrase that our friend said: Christ in me . Several years ago I went through a season of reading the works of some Christian mystics, desert fathers and mothers as they are sometimes called because they separated themselves from their culture and lived in the desert to more effectively spend time with God without the distractions of city life. I read quite a bit of Jeanne Guyon. She obviously loved God deeply, and I learned a lot from her writings, but there was one phrase that she couldn't seem to emphasize enough, and it always bothered me - look within yourself to find God (sounds a little new-agey, doesn't it?) Honestly, the thought has been repulsive to me. It's so contrary to our modern Christian thoug...

Believing the Lies

My husband and I recently watched The Help - a story about a group of African American women who worked as maids in Jackson, Mississippi in the '60s. One of the protagonists works for a woman "who got no b'ness havin' babies." This woman, this family maid and nanny, tells her little two year old ward regularly, "You is pretty. You is smart. You is impor'ant." How difficult it is for us to believe that about ourselves - really, to believe anything good about ourselves. I always try to be my raw self when I write a blog post. Today is no exception. So I confess that I've been drowning in a storm of lies lately. My head knows they're lies, and I could easily tell anyone else in the same place that they're lies, but I haven't been able to get a grip. There have been so many of them coming at me at once. It seems that I just break the surface, gulp some fresh air of truth then get pulled back under. One thing I know: the enemy of our ...

The Lost Cells

Over the past seven months, I have had to force my brain to think in ways previously foreign to it. Due to the responsibilities of my day-job, I've been compeled to think like a computer program. This has not been an easy task for one such as myself. My motto when it comes to learning new software has always been, "you figure it out then just tell me what to do." Now that I have climbed the mountain, crossed the desert, and traversed the wasteland of setting up and learning new software on my own, I have come to the momentous conclusion that I was right - You figure it out and just tell me what to do. I tell you all this as an excuse for my lack of a blog this week (does writing a blog about not writing a blog negate my claim that I didn't write a blog?). The gears that churn inside my head aren't rusty, they've melted together from over-use and can no longer move. My normal brain-cells have been pummeled, tortured, twisted, stomped upon, and ground into sens...