Skip to main content

Am I A Safe Place?

My blog has been silent for a few weeks - partly due to the fact that I've been sick and partly due to the fact that I'm not sure how to put my thoughts into words that encourage rather than words that bring guilt. So I pray that as you read these words, it's not guilt, but conviction, that you sense and that you are drawn closer to the Lover of your soul.

I recently read Judges 19 and 20 - the story of the Ephraimite whose wife left him (whether or not she was unfaithful or just angry with him seems to be up for debate). He traveled to her father's house to bring her back, and on their way home, they stopped in Gibeah where she was raped and murdered.

It's an interesting cast of characters: the wife, for whatever reason, leaves her husband and returns to her father's house (not so lightly done back then); the man who opens his home to the travelers also offers his virgin daughter and the man's wife to the men of the city; the husband shoves his wife out the door for the men of Gibeah to do with as they please and in the morning, when he sees her sprawled across the front porch - I'm sure in less than pristine condition - he just says to her "Get up." It doesn't say that he bent down to her and held her in his arms or wept when he saw her condition. He knows she's been abused all night long, but he's ready to hit the road, so he just tells her to get up. A real jewel of a husband.

When the trio (a servant accompanied them) originally looked for a place to spend the night, the servant had suggested a town not within Israel. The man refused. He wanted to stay among Israelites, his people, the people of God. He'd thought he would be safe there. You would think.

I began to wonder: I'm part of the people of God, but am I a safe place? I doubt that I have to worry about the townspeople coming to my house demanding that I physically give to them someone who is in my home for their personal entertainment and abuse, but what about my words? In my efforts to protect myself, do I shove someone else out the door? "Here, say what you want about her, but don't touch me."

As I read and re-read this story, I became increasingly indignant at the husband and his host. How could they offer their wife and daughter as sacrifices to these men?! How could they? What kind of men do that? But as I struggled with this story, I realized that this story wasn't written so we can make judgments against the men of Gibeah. I think it was written as a mirror for each of us to look into. "Mirror, mirror on the wall . . . " We may be the host who, in protecting strangers, offers his own flesh and blood for slaughter. We may be the husband who so desperately wants to protect himself that he pushes someone else out the door. Perhaps we're the wife who was fed to the crowd by someone who should have protected her. Or perhaps we're a part of the crowd, hungry for someone new to devour with our words, our attitudes or perhaps we've been all four at some time or another.

Lord, forgive me. Forgive us. We, your people, rape and abuse each other with our words. We don't even realize it. As we desperately try to protect ourselves, we point fingers at others. We make others look bad, so we can look good. Make us aware, Lord. Show us our sin and grant us the gift of repentance. Heal the hearts of those we've hurt. I want to be a place where others can come and find safety and refuge, where others can come and find You.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

One Step

Depending on your source, new businesses that fail within their first twelve months range from 20% to 90%. My own observations over the years (I have no solid data to back this) is that these failures are not from a lack of skill but from a lack of business-sense and of infra-structure.  So here I am with my own start-up, and of course, I want it to succeed, but I'm a writer, an editor, and an HR professional. I'm not a small business owner. Oh wait. Yes, I am. Last week, I spent a fair amount of time networking and learning about the business side of things. By Thursday evening, it's fair to say that I was a tad overwhelmed.  I had listened, processed, and absorbed as much as I could. It felt like I had walked into a dense forest. Trees grew closely together and leaves scattered the ground. I could no longer see the path. I looked up. I looked around. Nothing but trees and leaves. Tall and beautiful and amazing in their brilliant fall colors but so many of them!  I froze.