Skip to main content

Love Isn't For Wimps


My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary a few days ago - twenty nine years (we were all of 5 years old when we got married). I remember waking up that morning in March, my mother's home transformed from its typically peaceful existence to one full of life and the flurry of activity that is found in the home of every bride on her wedding morning. Excitement laced the air. The butterflies in my stomach refused to rest. I couldn't eat, didn't want to eat, but mother knows best and somehow I got down a piece of toast with grape jelly.

I don't remember what time I awoke or how many hours I'd actually slept, but I do remember sitting on the edge of the bed in a room that my sister and I had shared once upon a time. As I looked out the window, snowflakes began to fall. My heart sank. It wasn't supposed to snow on my wedding day! The sky should be a clear and brilliant blue holding the sun, warm and inviting! But I'm getting married today! I thought. Let the snow come! It's my wedding day. Who cares if it snows?  I closed my eyes, took some deep breaths, tried to calm my nerves. Within minutes, I felt warmth on my face as light seeped through my closed lids. I opened my eyes to a brilliant sun and clear skies - as if God had momentarily forgotten the importance of the day, and upon remembering, swept the clouds away with a flip of His hand, unveiling the most beautiful blue a sky has ever been. A huge smile spread across my face. I felt His happiness, not just mine own.

What I didn't know at that point in time was the true nature of marriage. You can't know. People tried to talk us out of it - most notably, my then future mother-in-law. She didn't try to talk Marc out of it, just me. I would smile at her. I was in love with her son and her words couldn't faze me. We'd postponed our wedding six months for her sake. She was that worried about us. We were young. We knew that, so we talked to a number of people older than us, wiser than us, people who worked with married couples. We wanted to be stopped if it was a bad idea. Each of our counselors grilled us. We answered every question honestly, and without fail, each counselor gave us a green light.

So the day came. After a fifteen month engagement, we stood at the alter and said our vows. We thought we were in love that day. We didn't have a clue.

Love isn't for sissies or the faint of heart. Love is for fighters. Everything in this world works to destroy love. According to statistics, 50% let it. My heart breaks each time I hear of a divorce. Life is hard. It's full of road blocks and U-turns and tragedies and doubts and disappointments and pain and misunderstandings and misconceptions and stress upon stress. . . and . . . and . . . and . . . But God in His infinite wisdom works these things together for good for those who love Him. The very things that tear couples apart are the very things that can bring them closer if only they would fight - not each other  - but fight together for their marriage.

I love my husband very, very much. I couldn't say that after twenty nine years if we hadn't fought through a lot of junk: junk in ourselves, junk in each other, junk that life threw at us by way of jobs, family, friends, kids, schools, etc. We've had to learn to be humble before each other and to trust. It's not an easy path, but if you give up too soon, you miss out - big time. Five, ten, even twenty years, aren't enough. Marriage was made for a lifetime because anything less than that doesn't cut it. It's incomplete. Unfinished. Shallow. It takes a lifetime to learn what it means to love someone - to really love them - through to the very depths of your soul. I'm not at the lifetime mark yet. By my count, my husband and I still have a good thirty-ish years to go. I can't imagine how I can possibly love him more, but then, that's what I thought on my wedding day . . .





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God