Skip to main content

. . . As You Love Yourself

My husband and I recently took a trip. We flew to our destination. With a connecting flight each way, we attentively listened to the stewards on each leg of our journey as they gave their spiel regarding safety in case of an emergency. Per usual, they told everyone on each plane that, if they had small children with them, to take care of themselves first and then see to their child.

Picture this: the plane is flying along smoothly - la dee da dee da. We hit some turbulence, a few pockets of rough air - no big deal. Then the wind picks up, lightening flashes. A little turbulence turns into a major storm. The plane begins to vibrate, to shake. Something goes terribly wrong. The cabin loses pressure. We're headed down. The oxygen masks fall. My granddaughter is with me - screaming, frightened out of her little mind. What do I do? I put her oxygen mask on her of course and then, if I haven't passed out, I take care of me.
Wrong-o.

If you watch certain TV shows or read almost any women's magazine, it doesn't take too long to notice a common theme: stop being so unselfish. What?! Do we in America really have a problem with being unselfish? Seriously? I have a very hard time believing that. Although I can't deny that there is definitely a problem that looks, superficially, like it's caused by being too unselfish. I haven't researched the issue, and I don't have statistics to give you. All I have are my musings on the matter, which are primarily thanks to my husband who has worked tirelessly to drill into me how much he needs me to take care of me. While I think I could come up with enough material to write a book on the subject, this is just a blog, so I'll try to keep it short, and at this point, talk only about severe unselfishness as it refers to moms and mom-burn-out.

I'm hard up to believe that mom-burn-out is caused by a lack of selfishness. I've personally suffered from this affliction, and I guarantee you that I do not lack in selfishness. I think, generally speaking, our problem is that we don't really know what love is. Somehow we've been programmed to think that to love well means to make the object of our love happy at all costs. We tend to forget the second half of the whole " love thy neighbor" verse, which is the unthinkable - "as you love yourself."

"Love yourself?" Now we're talking selfish! Right? We have an aversion to using those two words together. We think it's pure narcissism - but is it? I suppose it can be, but it can also be the best way to love our neighbor (including our spouse and kiddos). If we don't love ourselves, if we don't take time to take care of ourselves, our well will run dry, we'll end up burned-out, with nothing left to give, maybe even resentful. My guess is that a lot of marriages could have been saved if only husband and/or wife had known that they needed to love themselves in order to truly love their spouse. It sounds and feels so ego-centric, so anti-Christian to say you love yourself, but until you do, can you really love anyone else well?

Just something to think about.

Comments

  1. Thanks, Lori. Though I am a member of another group, "Potential Burned-out Dads Club", I have consistently suffered from the same symptoms. I just can't seem to get it into my head that, no matter how busy a day may be, I still have to take of myself first. It probably is a matter of some inner-healing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God