Skip to main content

Christ In You

My husband and I had dinner the other night with some dear friends. Our conversation didn't exactly meander to the topic of God. It was more like it burst into it with both guns blazing, although now, I can't stop my thoughts from meandering back to one simple phrase that our friend said: Christ in me.

Several years ago I went through a season of reading the works of some Christian mystics, desert fathers and mothers as they are sometimes called because they separated themselves from their culture and lived in the desert to more effectively spend time with God without the distractions of city life. I read quite a bit of Jeanne Guyon. She obviously loved God deeply, and I learned a lot from her writings, but there was one phrase that she couldn't seem to emphasize enough, and it always bothered me - look within yourself to find God (sounds a little new-agey, doesn't it?) Honestly, the thought has been repulsive to me. It's so contrary to our modern Christian thought. We want to look outward - toward others. Besides, if I look inside myself, all I find is me along with all my faults and failings. Nope, I'm not really into the whole look-inside-yourself thing. I'd like to get away from me and onto God and others. That is, after all, more spiritual, isn't it? 

Enter - our dinner conversation and these scriptures that have assailed me since:
As the truth of Christ is in me ... - 2 Corinthians 11:10; Or do you not realize this about yourselves - that Jesus Christ is in you? - 2 Corinthians 13:5; ...but Christ who lives in me. - Galatians 2:20; Christ in you, the hope of glory - Colossians 1:27

This past Sunday, our pastor (coincidentally of course) spoke about the Holy Spirit living in each of us.

Christians are so good at over-spiritualizing life and everything in it. We're afraid to say "I" want to do this or "I" did that. It sounds so self-centered - and who wants to be (or sound) self-centered? We think that "I" is exclusive of "God" and that "God" is exclusive of "I." Either we make a decision on our own or we follow what we believe God is asking of us. It's one or the other: God's will or mine (and never the twain shall meet). We can't seem to grasp that when Christ is in me, I'm not alone - ever, and if I'm not alone, if Christ is truly in me, then He speaks to me and through me. If I have a dream or a passion for something, there's a really good chance that it's God, that what I want is not exclusive of what God wants for me (obviously I'm not talking about anything immoral or sinful).

As these thoughts swirled around within my cranium this week, I found myself strengthened, empowered even. Could it be true? Is it possible that in everything I do - EVERYTHING - I am not alone? Is it possible that because God lives in me, He's the one who has placed certain desires, certain dreams, in my heart? Is it possible that because He lives in me, I can talk to others and trust that He is speaking into their life? That I can hang out with friends and co-workers and not mention His name but know that He is with us? All because He lives in me? Is it possible that Jesus spoke truth when He prayed in John 17, "I in them and You in Me . . . ?"

So consider your life, your dreams, what you love. Now consider that it's not just you but Christ in you.

Comments

  1. Now that's what I'm a talkin' bout! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus and I both like this post Lori! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every post I read of yours, I wish you lived next door and we could continue the conversation...
    Thanks for sharing so much of me, I mean you, I mean Christ in you.
    kisses!
    Con

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lady, I actually think more often the other way, of sorts, that everything I do well is God in me coming out. Especially a "good idea"... I do know they aren't mine.. Keep up the thought provoking posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

One Step

Depending on your source, new businesses that fail within their first twelve months range from 20% to 90%. My own observations over the years (I have no solid data to back this) is that these failures are not from a lack of skill but from a lack of business-sense and of infra-structure.  So here I am with my own start-up, and of course, I want it to succeed, but I'm a writer, an editor, and an HR professional. I'm not a small business owner. Oh wait. Yes, I am. Last week, I spent a fair amount of time networking and learning about the business side of things. By Thursday evening, it's fair to say that I was a tad overwhelmed.  I had listened, processed, and absorbed as much as I could. It felt like I had walked into a dense forest. Trees grew closely together and leaves scattered the ground. I could no longer see the path. I looked up. I looked around. Nothing but trees and leaves. Tall and beautiful and amazing in their brilliant fall colors but so many of them!  I froze.