Skip to main content

Prison or Venue?

Have you ever been embarrassed to the point of tears? I have and for something about which I have no need to be embarrassed - my food allergies. I was at the rehearsal dinner for my niece's wedding, and I couldn't eat a single item in the buffet line without fear of some very unpleasant repercussions before the evening was over. My brother, the father of the bride, very kindly offered to run out and get me something, but whether I sat at the table and ate nothing while everyone else indulged or my brother went out and brought me back something, I was singled out. I didn't just blend in with the rest of the group. I felt the tears burn behind my eyes, which only served to irritate me with myself for being embarrassed.

I hate having all these food allergies because they make me different. At restaurants and social gatherings of all kinds, I have to ask about the food. I can't just partake like everyone else. At home, planning, shopping, and cooking foods I can eat and my husband and I both enjoy takes way more time than I'd like to give it. I often think I need to cut back on my hours at  work just so I have time to prepare food I can eat. It's often frustrating, and I don't understand why God gave me a body that rejects so much of what He made to nourish it. I have so many "better" things I could spend my time and energy on!

A couple evenings ago, I prepared a new recipe for veggie burgers that entailed peeling, chopping, and cooking eggplant and combining it with a multitude of various other ingredients, then chilling it for thirty minutes before shaping it into patties. While it chilled, I made ground beef into patties for my husband. My burgers took over an hour of hands-on prep time. My husband's took a couple of minutes. I bemoaned my plight with tears of frustration.

The next morning at church, one of our pastors opened his sermon with a little recap of Paul's life - an amazingly effective evangelist who planted churches all over the Mediterranean area, a man who was constantly on the move for the sake of the Gospel. He visited and encouraged, baptized and strengthened people in their faith. . . then he was arrested and put in prison. No more crowds flocking to hear him; no more churches planted in towns where the Gospel had never been preached. His work stopped. It was paralyzed  -  for years. What was God thinking?! I mean, come on, God! Really? This is Paul! Paul, the apostle! Didn't You know how much the early church needed him?

Apparently, God knew not only how much the early church needed Paul but how much the church down through the years would need him so to prison he went. What?! Like that makes sense?

While food allergies and prison are not exactly synonymous, the point is that many of us have "prisons" in our lives - handicaps, issues, thorns, things that hold us back, paralyze us, take time away from what we deem as profitable or productive activities. Doesn't God realize that there are so many better ways He could use our time and energy?

Somehow He made it work for Paul. So it makes me wonder, what if these things aren't handicaps at all, what if they're actually venues chosen by God to meet with us, to speak to us, to use us in ways we could never imagine.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God