Skip to main content

What I Learned At Youth Camp

Youth camp. It's not just for youth.

I'm a YPW - a youth pastor's wife. It's completely different from being a wife or even being a pastor's wife. There is an energy that abounds, an electricity in the air, an enthusiasm that most adults simply don't have. My husband IS a youth pastor. He doesn't DO youth pastor. It's what he is. Who he is. I, on the other hand, am not. I worked with teens for a number of years, but the energy level was beyond me. I couldn't keep up, so I gave up. My husband is still going strong.

Each year we have two events for which I dust off my youthworker cap and gown: our winter retreat and youth camp. At youth camp, I've honed my role to an art. After many years of trial and error, I have it down. I'm the camp mom. Some of the kids even call me "Mom" that week. I plan meals, shop, cook, clean up, run errands, care for anyone who falls ill, bandage cuts, etc. etc. I focus on the practical, so my husband and the counselors can focus on God and the kids.

I do those things while my husband, the counsellors, and the kids attend worship services and seminars. They hang out during their free time, play cards, swim, and altogether spend the week enjoying the presence of God and each other. Mine is an exhausting, thankless role, and there is really nothing I like about doing it. Every year, when we get home, I make the decision to never go again.

This year was different.

This year, our number of campers doubled from that of last year's camp. In the two months before we left, I was literally having panic attacks over it. I lost sleep. I was about as close to the definition of "beside myself" as I've ever been. My YPH (Youth Pastor Husband) was kind and sympathetic, yet insistent regarding how much they needed me. I prayed about it (constantly), and as I prayed, I was convinced that I was supposed to go. So I did, but I went under protest and with a condition. I told God that He had to work a miracle in me or I was done. I would tell Marc (my YPH) that camp was off my calendar from here on out.

Each morning after getting the campers off, I took time to pray. I took time to listen. I was open for God to work a miracle. I was desperate for it. To my surprise, He did it. He began by showing me the ugliness in my own heart. Each morning, He showed me something new.

I saw my pride, and I was humbled by His gentleness and kindness. I saw how I thought serving in this manner was beneath me; how I thought my gifts could be better used some other way. This was too lowly. Serving like this was like being a...well...like being a servant. Gasp! Not that. Not a servant of all things!

And I sensed God ask me, "would I be in the wrong if My only purpose in creating you was to be Marc's helper in what I've created him to do?"

Ouch.

"Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you?
    I lay my hand on my mouth.

I have spoken once, and I will not answer;
    twice, but I will proceed no further.”

                                         Job 40: 4-5

So, what did learn at youth camp this year? More than I learned in all the other years of camp put together. I learned more than all my complaining and anxiety could ever gain me. I learned that even in the face of my ugliness and sin, God is kind and gracious and gentle. He is slow to anger, patient, and tender. I learned that He is God, and I am not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God