Skip to main content

I Can't Remember

Be careful what you pray for...It's not an uncommon phrase, and one full of the wisdom of experience. In praying for patience, you will likely find yourself in situations that require patience. In praying for greater faith, situations that require faith will likely be the order of the day.

I thought I had learned this lesson.

I don't know what got into me, but a month or so ago, I began to ask God to show me my sins, to show me areas of my life that needed repentance. And you know what? Yep, He answered my prayer. I went from patting myself on the back because I thought I had climbed pretty darn high on the thoughtfulness/kindness/goodness ladder to sliding so far down that I had to look up to see the bottom rung. My eyes opened, and I saw that I was the most wretched wretch I knew.

I repented. Then I promptly isolated myself from God. I withdrew. I was subconsciously convinced that He was angry with me. How could He not be? I was angry with myself. Disgusted at my thoughtless, selfish ways. If I felt that way about myself, surely that's how God felt about me too.

Several weeks went by like this. Then someone asked me a simple question. "What do you imagine when you think of Jesus?" I paused before answering, my brain rapid-firing thoughts of alI that I should say - something positive and wonderful, something encouraging, something that sounded holy; but I was tired of pretending. I answered honestly. I verbalized the dark and ugly thoughts that ate at me from within.

Shortly thereafter, I read a story about a woman having visions of Jesus. Whether true or not, the point was timely. The story goes that in order to test the validity of these visions, a cleric asked the woman to ask Jesus for a list of the sins he had recently confessed. Ten days later, the woman met with the cleric. What was Jesus' response to the woman's question regarding the cleric's recently confessed sins?

"I can't remember." *

Three simple words. The phrase is usually accompanied by frustration or remorse, and it's often preceded by, "I'm sorry."

They have an entirely new meaning for me now. I can't think them, much less say them, without that story coming out from beneath the clutter of my thoughts and standing front and center. In the two seconds it takes to say them, I hear Jesus speak. I hear His answer echoing through to the depths of my soul. I hear forgiveness for sins confessed; sins laid at the foot of the cross; sins no longer mine to carry because He took them to hell and left them there. Sins He can't remember.

It makes me just a little bit giddy.

As far as the east is from the west, so far does He remove our sins from us (Ps 103:12).

* from The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning p.118

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God