Skip to main content

That's Just Who He Is

Some times you just need a vacation, a break from the routine that doesn't involve responsibilities but does involve a change of scenery. My husband and I usually try to get away in the fall, after the crazy spring and summer months are behind us, and we can finally relax.

Funds were extra tight last year, so we tried a "stay-cation." It didn't work. We got the break from our routine, but our various responsibilities, home repairs, maintenance, and long-set-aside projects encircled us, shouted at us, jumped around, and flailed their long spindly arms all week long. Not exactly relaxing. Two years ago, we'd gone to the beach...sort of. At least, our condo was near the beach. We just didn't see all that much of it. We spent most of our time at urgent care and Walgreens. Shingles are especially miserable when you're supposed to be vacationing. Three years ago, the year before shingles, we simply took a four day weekend and stayed at a state park.

In addition to these non-vacation vacations, life has been quite full these past few years. So we were ready...more than ready...for a real vacation.

Sunrise from our balcony
 We headed south and when we hit the Gulf of Mexico, my body and soul melted at the sight. The beach was even more awe-inspiring than I'd remembered. I wanted to inject the white sand and brilliant sun directly into my veins. I wanted their beauty to become a part of me.

As we sat on the beach each day, I didn't even want to read (which is saying a lot) because I didn't want anything to take me away from where I was, from the view I had, from the sense of peace and majesty that the ocean instilled in me; and so I sat. I simply absorbed the life and beauty around me. I let "real" life fade away as best I could. I walked along the shoreline every day and sat out on our balcony every night, the sounds of the ocean waves washing away tension.

As we drove home, the view outside our car windows changed from the vastness of the ocean to the white of cotton fields ready for harvest to the green of the Midwest.

In town
It never fails to take my breath away, to infuse me with its life: the deep, rich greens of Missouri. Whether I travel to Wyoming, Arizona, the Gulf coast, or Africa, coming home to the opulent flora of my home state sings to my soul like nothing else.

And the trees even waited until we came home to begin their fall transformation into fiery shades of red and gold.

Jenny Lake - Wyoming
I know that others find the same sense of homeness, of life, of inspiration in the snow-covered northern plains, or in the mountains, desert, or beach; and it makes me wonder at the kindness of God. 
He seems to have thought of everything - even creating different climates and different breathtaking views - a little something for everyone.

I'm often baffled by the kindness of God. Why would He be so good to us? I don't get it. We certainly don't deserve it...and then I remember: it's not about what we deserve. It's about Him. His grace, His kindness, His mercy, His goodness. We CAN'T deserve any of it, no matter how hard we try, no matter how good or thoughtful or kind we are, everything we do is filthy compared to Him (see Psalm 53:3 & Isaiah 64:6).

Yet He blesses us.

Because that's just Who He is.

That..He might show the immeasurable riches of His grace in kindness...
                                                                                                           Ephesians 2: 7

Comments

  1. I'm ready for a real vacation too!!!!!!! and your trees are LOVELY!!! Think they will hold on another 4 (almost) days?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LP, The photos were secondary only to your wonderful prose. You brought me to my heart's knees first in describing the gorgeous scenes and then in humility before God. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God