Skip to main content

A Good Friday Marriage

Do you remember what the officiant said at your wedding? At any wedding? Neither do I. At least, I don't remember most of them - my own and my children's included - but I do remember one.

Though I now attend a non-denominational church, I was raised Catholic. And not just a little Catholic. We were very Catholic. Perhaps other denominations celebrate Easter and Easter week as enthusiastically as Catholics, but I think they'd be hard-pressed to beat them (as if it's a competition): we went to church on Holy Thursday. We stayed inside between noon and 3:00 on Good Friday. We attended church on Friday, Saturday night, and Sunday morning. I loved the solemnity. I loved the celebration. I loved the traditions. I loved remembering what our faith was all about. Those days were always set aside. We did nothing but Holy Week during Holy Week, and I continued that tradition, as best I could, with my own family.

Then two years ago, I was invited to a wedding that would take place on Good Friday.

Hang on. Put 'er back in first: a wedding...on Good Friday? My Catholic self bucked like a bronco. That's like Beelzebub and Gabriel dancing a waltz. Yet it was happening: my niece who fairly grew up in our house and was best friends with my daughter all through their growing-up years was getting married on Good Friday. My grand daughter was the flower girl. No way would I miss this wedding!

So Good Friday came...errr, I mean the day of the wedding came. It was beautiful - set under a canopy of very tall, very old, trees on a Southern plantation. Incredibly picturesque. When the pastor spoke to the bride and groom that evening, he walked them through Good Friday. He didn't shy away from the truth of it, the ugliness of that first Good Friday. He brought them through it all and ended at the foot of the cross. He concluded, Your anniversary may never fall on Good Friday, but every year when Good Friday comes, remember that you were married on this day and that this - this - is what love looks like.

When it comes to new love, we want to paint a backdrop of bright sunshine, tulips of the most vibrant colors, birds singing, and gorgeously blue skies. Love is always bliss. Anyone who's married would whole-heartedly agree. Right?

Okay maybe not.

The pastor's talk wasn't morbid or depressing. It was truth. We don't want to parade the reality of love - especially at a wedding. We only want to look at the happy side of it, but for love to be real, there is going to be pain. There is going to be sacrifice. There will be whole seasons in which you feel like there is nothing but the cross and that Easter will never come.

The pastor's words pierced my heart that evening and literally took my breath away. While my own anniversary has never fallen on Good Friday, still when that day rolls around each year, I remember his words: this is what love looks like. It's the wedding sermon I never, ever want to forget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God