Skip to main content

Simpler Times

A few years and two children after my husband and I married, we gathered in front of a TV along with my small crowd of in-laws. One of my brothers-in-law had converted a collection of home movies into the latest cutting-edge technology: VHS tapes. We watched the black and white antics of twenty-seven cousins who grew up closer than many siblings do. As the tape played, I began to marvel at my mother-in-law and her sisters. I only had two children and often enough felt like sanity was just beyond my reach. Here were three women with twenty-seven children between them. And no, they were not sweet, calm, book-loving children that never gave their parents cause for hair-tearing. They were lively, spirited, wrestling, yelling, prank-pulling, Little Rascals-worthy normal children.

As one Easter, somewhere in the 1960s, scrolled across the screen, and these cherubic children in their clean, pressed, darling Easter attire paraded down the front steps of my husband's boyhood home, my marveling reached a crescendo. In my awe, I asked my mother-in-law, "how did you do it?"

She didn't shake her head in pity at my lack of parenting prowess. She didn't dive into a well-rehearsed child-rearing lecture. She simply sighed and said, "the times were so much simpler."
That was it. The key. The morsel of wisdom I'd been holding my breath to hear: life was simpler.


This week's Introverts Thrive! assignment is to look back over the past half century or so and consider the changes that have occurred in our culture that create the overstimulating environment in which we now live.

Here are a few of my thoughts:
* Streets and highways are more congested, and almost everyone is in a hurry.
* Advertising: it bombards our senses from every direction!
* Junk email and newsletters 
* Smart phones - so we can gather information, buy things, check email, text, and stay connected via Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and a myriad of other apps
* Bluetooth, so we can do all of the above hands-free (lest we have to unplug to use the bathroom)
* Thanks to all the on-screen options, typing a Word document is more stimulating than typing on the humble, and all but extinct, typewriter.

I'm not anti-technology. In many ways, I love the doors it opens for me. But what I'm beginning to realize is that I've allowed these devices too much control over my time. While their place in our culture is a challenge for those of us who are affected by the stimulation they bring into our lives, they are not the enemy.

Affording them more room in our lives than is healthy is.

So this week, while you work on your list and dream of simpler days, keep a foot in the 21st century and show your gadgets who's boss.


I will be unplugged next week, and although I may have a guest blogger, we won't have an Introverts Thrive! assignment.

Comments

  1. So true and to the point. A simpler life is what we all need. I find that one of the keys is practicing living in the moment. I love what you say about unplugging from technology. I have a whole chapter on using technology in more mindful ways in the book I wrote: A Call to Magic. http://bookShow.me/147932034X
    Hooray for living simpler!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God