Skip to main content

Created For A Purpose

I feel the cool breeze as I sail through the air. It's amazing. I fly. I career. I sail. I am euphoric. The early morning sun shines brightly. It's too early in the day for its heat to overbear. Instead, the sun offers the perfect balance of warmth to the crispness of a new day. It colors the sky with pink, purple, and shades of blue. The clouds smear across it like cotton candy across a child's face. Below me, the newly mowed grass smells strongly of summer days.

This is what I was made for. This freedom. This abandon. This liberty. This emancipation.

To sit, hour after hour, in a confined space. To exist through a span of days without this experience. For life to fly by me when I should be sailing through the middle of it - soaring through the middle of it - is a pitiful existence. Painful. Remorseful. Depressing.

True, I've seen better days. I'm not all that I used to be. My skin isn't smooth or blemish-free as once it was. The sun has taken its toll on me. Life has taken its toll on me. I have the expected markings of age - the markings of my years. I prefer this to the alternative though - to having spent my life on a shelf; to be of an age when my contemporaries are well-lived, well-worn and to find myself preening and splaying my youthful beauty? No, this is by far a better choice. My imperfections only serve to prove my life has been full.

I smile as these thoughts glide through my mind. I begin my descent. I brace myself for what I know will come. I squeeze my eyes shut. I grimace. This is the hard part. I wait for it. . . wait for it . . .

Whomp. My head rattles just a bit from the sudden stop. In a rush, I let out my breath. The worst is over. I open my eyes, and I'm grateful: He caught me face up. I squint at the sun and hear a voice from across the field.

"Good boy, Morgan! Good boy! Bring it hear! Come on!"

I smile because I know that soon I will once again soar. I will once again feel the ecstasy of doing exactly that for which I was created.

Is there anything this side of eternity that can even compare?

Comments

  1. Didn't know career could be used that way! Learned something new today :-) Are you a frisbee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always happy when He catches me face-up too! Eye-to-eye, heart-to-heart, even if my knees are all skinned, He has me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. catching up on your blog, lori. i love this entry. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you do one for ....... say a dish rag?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Believing the Lies

My husband and I recently watched The Help - a story about a group of African American women who worked as maids in Jackson, Mississippi in the '60s. One of the protagonists works for a woman "who got no b'ness havin' babies." This woman, this family maid and nanny, tells her little two year old ward regularly, "You is pretty. You is smart. You is impor'ant." How difficult it is for us to believe that about ourselves - really, to believe anything good about ourselves. I always try to be my raw self when I write a blog post. Today is no exception. So I confess that I've been drowning in a storm of lies lately. My head knows they're lies, and I could easily tell anyone else in the same place that they're lies, but I haven't been able to get a grip. There have been so many of them coming at me at once. It seems that I just break the surface, gulp some fresh air of truth then get pulled back under. One thing I know: the enemy of our ...

Christ In You

My husband and I had dinner the other night with some dear friends. Our conversation didn't exactly meander to the topic of God. It was more like it burst into it with both guns blazing, although now, I can't stop my thoughts from meandering back to one simple phrase that our friend said: Christ in me . Several years ago I went through a season of reading the works of some Christian mystics, desert fathers and mothers as they are sometimes called because they separated themselves from their culture and lived in the desert to more effectively spend time with God without the distractions of city life. I read quite a bit of Jeanne Guyon. She obviously loved God deeply, and I learned a lot from her writings, but there was one phrase that she couldn't seem to emphasize enough, and it always bothered me - look within yourself to find God (sounds a little new-agey, doesn't it?) Honestly, the thought has been repulsive to me. It's so contrary to our modern Christian thoug...

The Lost Cells

Over the past seven months, I have had to force my brain to think in ways previously foreign to it. Due to the responsibilities of my day-job, I've been compeled to think like a computer program. This has not been an easy task for one such as myself. My motto when it comes to learning new software has always been, "you figure it out then just tell me what to do." Now that I have climbed the mountain, crossed the desert, and traversed the wasteland of setting up and learning new software on my own, I have come to the momentous conclusion that I was right - You figure it out and just tell me what to do. I tell you all this as an excuse for my lack of a blog this week (does writing a blog about not writing a blog negate my claim that I didn't write a blog?). The gears that churn inside my head aren't rusty, they've melted together from over-use and can no longer move. My normal brain-cells have been pummeled, tortured, twisted, stomped upon, and ground into sens...