Skip to main content

Eyes Wide Open


I recently began to read One Thousand Gifts - A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp. I picked it up, not because of the title, but because so many people had recommended it - highly. I'm not sure what I expected, but it's all that and then some. I have to admit that her writing style is difficult for me. I have to weed through her poetic prose to grasp the jewels of truth, but there are jewels sprinkled throughout every page, and it is well worth my efforts. I'm not writing a book review this morning, but I mention this book because it is the reading of it that has planted a new cry in my heart: I want to see.
 
I came home from the office frustrated yesterday. I'd spent two days working on one problem. It felt like trudging through cement. I changed clothes and immediately went to walk out my frustrations. I prayed, "Lord, I want to see. I want to see You in this." Albert Einstein's words sprang to mind, "It's not that I'm smarter than anyone else. It's just that I stick with a problem longer." Whoa. There's God. I may have spent two days on one problem, but the gift is in the fact that I can think, that I can do my job, and that I actually like my job even when I'm trudging through cement.

Generally speaking, I don't think I'm a particularly negative person. I try to remember to look for the good in people, try to find the positive in a negative situation. I don't really need to work on my gratitude attitude - or at least I didn't think I did. I've realized though that I want more - I want to be more grateful. I want to see God's gifts in my life. I want to see God every day, all around me . . . but I don't.

I don't want to have to try to see the good in everything. I want my heart changed so that seeing God everywhere, in everything, is simply part of who I am  - not just a thing I do. So, I think I'm going to keep praying, "I want to see," because I do. I want to live my life with my eyes wide open.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Believing the Lies

My husband and I recently watched The Help - a story about a group of African American women who worked as maids in Jackson, Mississippi in the '60s. One of the protagonists works for a woman "who got no b'ness havin' babies." This woman, this family maid and nanny, tells her little two year old ward regularly, "You is pretty. You is smart. You is impor'ant." How difficult it is for us to believe that about ourselves - really, to believe anything good about ourselves. I always try to be my raw self when I write a blog post. Today is no exception. So I confess that I've been drowning in a storm of lies lately. My head knows they're lies, and I could easily tell anyone else in the same place that they're lies, but I haven't been able to get a grip. There have been so many of them coming at me at once. It seems that I just break the surface, gulp some fresh air of truth then get pulled back under. One thing I know: the enemy of our ...

Christ In You

My husband and I had dinner the other night with some dear friends. Our conversation didn't exactly meander to the topic of God. It was more like it burst into it with both guns blazing, although now, I can't stop my thoughts from meandering back to one simple phrase that our friend said: Christ in me . Several years ago I went through a season of reading the works of some Christian mystics, desert fathers and mothers as they are sometimes called because they separated themselves from their culture and lived in the desert to more effectively spend time with God without the distractions of city life. I read quite a bit of Jeanne Guyon. She obviously loved God deeply, and I learned a lot from her writings, but there was one phrase that she couldn't seem to emphasize enough, and it always bothered me - look within yourself to find God (sounds a little new-agey, doesn't it?) Honestly, the thought has been repulsive to me. It's so contrary to our modern Christian thoug...

The Lost Cells

Over the past seven months, I have had to force my brain to think in ways previously foreign to it. Due to the responsibilities of my day-job, I've been compeled to think like a computer program. This has not been an easy task for one such as myself. My motto when it comes to learning new software has always been, "you figure it out then just tell me what to do." Now that I have climbed the mountain, crossed the desert, and traversed the wasteland of setting up and learning new software on my own, I have come to the momentous conclusion that I was right - You figure it out and just tell me what to do. I tell you all this as an excuse for my lack of a blog this week (does writing a blog about not writing a blog negate my claim that I didn't write a blog?). The gears that churn inside my head aren't rusty, they've melted together from over-use and can no longer move. My normal brain-cells have been pummeled, tortured, twisted, stomped upon, and ground into sens...