Skip to main content

Are You Your Own Worst Enemy?

 I can be my own worst enemy. I do things that disagree with my nature, things that cause me stress. It seems rather silly, right? Okay, maybe idiotic is a better descriptor. Regardless, I still do them. Why? Good question. I'm not a psychologist, but having lived with myself for a while now, my best guess would be that it's because of the lies I've believed (which you can read about here if you missed last week's post).


So what exactly do I do that makes me an enemy of me? Here are a few of them:
* I spend too much time on electronic media, most notably: Facebook, emails, and Amazon. Do I really need to know what the sister of my best friend in sixth grade is up to? How many times a day is too many times to see if Airfare Watchdog has found me a cheap flight to my desired destination when, in the two years that I've been watching, they've found ZERO? And how many books can I add to my Wish List in one day (quite a few as it turns out)?
* I demand of myself a thoroughly uncluttered habitat both at home and work.
* I can't leave things undone or half-done.
* I allow oodles of interruptions to my day. I put out fifty fires and neglect the five important projects I need to do. Part of that is the nature of my job and my work environment. Part of it is that I fail to set boundaries.
* Guilt is a habit that I didn't even realize I had until I made last week's list. I'm not proud of it, and I don't particularly like it.
* I get hurried, which zaps any sense of peace I might otherwise have had.

While I need to work on making the above list shorter, or better yet, non-existent, there are also ways that I can make a positive contribution to change this relationship from worst enemy to best friend. Such as:
* Make time each day for prayer/meditation
* Talk a walk
* Soak in a hot bath
* Read a good novel
* Spend time outside
* Get a massage
* Write
* Just say no

In Matthew 22:38, Jesus tells us to love our neighbor as we love ourselves. This is the second of the two great commandments, so I'm thinkin' that must mean it's pretty important. The command begs the question, can we truly love our neighbor if we don't love ourselves, and what exactly does it mean to love ourselves? We know it's not a call to a self-centered life (that would be totally un-Jesus-y). Perhaps it simply means being a friend, rather than an enemy, to yourself.

Maybe we should all try it. It might make the world - or at least our own corner of the world - a more pleasant place to live.

(Introverts Thrive: week two assignment -  make your own lists of ways in which you are your own worst enemy and ways that you can be a friend to yourself.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Believing the Lies

My husband and I recently watched The Help - a story about a group of African American women who worked as maids in Jackson, Mississippi in the '60s. One of the protagonists works for a woman "who got no b'ness havin' babies." This woman, this family maid and nanny, tells her little two year old ward regularly, "You is pretty. You is smart. You is impor'ant." How difficult it is for us to believe that about ourselves - really, to believe anything good about ourselves. I always try to be my raw self when I write a blog post. Today is no exception. So I confess that I've been drowning in a storm of lies lately. My head knows they're lies, and I could easily tell anyone else in the same place that they're lies, but I haven't been able to get a grip. There have been so many of them coming at me at once. It seems that I just break the surface, gulp some fresh air of truth then get pulled back under. One thing I know: the enemy of our ...

Christ In You

My husband and I had dinner the other night with some dear friends. Our conversation didn't exactly meander to the topic of God. It was more like it burst into it with both guns blazing, although now, I can't stop my thoughts from meandering back to one simple phrase that our friend said: Christ in me . Several years ago I went through a season of reading the works of some Christian mystics, desert fathers and mothers as they are sometimes called because they separated themselves from their culture and lived in the desert to more effectively spend time with God without the distractions of city life. I read quite a bit of Jeanne Guyon. She obviously loved God deeply, and I learned a lot from her writings, but there was one phrase that she couldn't seem to emphasize enough, and it always bothered me - look within yourself to find God (sounds a little new-agey, doesn't it?) Honestly, the thought has been repulsive to me. It's so contrary to our modern Christian thoug...

The Lost Cells

Over the past seven months, I have had to force my brain to think in ways previously foreign to it. Due to the responsibilities of my day-job, I've been compeled to think like a computer program. This has not been an easy task for one such as myself. My motto when it comes to learning new software has always been, "you figure it out then just tell me what to do." Now that I have climbed the mountain, crossed the desert, and traversed the wasteland of setting up and learning new software on my own, I have come to the momentous conclusion that I was right - You figure it out and just tell me what to do. I tell you all this as an excuse for my lack of a blog this week (does writing a blog about not writing a blog negate my claim that I didn't write a blog?). The gears that churn inside my head aren't rusty, they've melted together from over-use and can no longer move. My normal brain-cells have been pummeled, tortured, twisted, stomped upon, and ground into sens...