Skip to main content

It's Not WHO But WHOSE

The waiting is over! Brooklyn Adeline arrived this past Thursday, and while I awaited the euphoria that my fellow-grandparents assured me would come, I found that instead of what I expected, I fell in love. Deeply, unreservedly, unconditionally, in love.

Everyone decided to lie down for a nap. I voluntarily sacrificed my nap (that's just the kind of gal I am) to stay with Brooklyn. I mean, what three day-old infant can take a nap by herself?. Someone had to hold her, so I volunteered. I'm such a martyr.

As we lounged on the sofa together, she slept. I absorbed every bit of her: the curve of her tiny little ears, the motion of her eyes beneath her eyelids as she dreamed (of what? Being back in the womb maybe? Nursing?), her perfectly shaped lips so like her great grandma's, her soft, so soft, skin with its perfect complexion. I stared at her and basked in simply loving her. I let every part of her sink and settle deep within my heart. This was my first time alone with her, and I held onto every moment of it.

I looked at my newborn granddaughter and thought, why do I love you like this? What is it about you that turns my heart to liquid? I see other babies, other newborns. I saw half a dozen of them over the previous three days in the hospital, but none of them evoked such emotion. What is it about this child? There's nothing about her - not her looks (although she is beautiful), it's not the riches she brings me, or the work she does for me, or anything at all that she does because frankly, she can't do a heck of a whole lot just yet. Nor is it in anticipation of any of those things that makes my heart swell. I will love her regardless of what the future holds - even if, for some reason, she hates me. I will love her simply because I do. She could never do anything to make me not love her. She's stuck. I can't help it.

That's when I realized: it's not because of WHO she is. It's because of WHOSE she is. You see, I love her mother and father, so I love her. I love the siblings she doesn't yet have. I love the children that my son and daughter-in-law will have although I've not yet met them because I love my son and daughter-in-law.

That's when I thought of God and His love for us. Although I've heard it before and known it and believed it, I came to a greater understanding as I held my infant granddaughter in my arms. As she slept there completely helpless, swaddled in a blanket of tiny pink flowers, unable to do anything at all for me, I realized that she and I have something more than our ancestry in common: I've never done anything to deserve the love of God nor can I. Yet He loves me. . . because I am in Christ. WHO I am doesn't make God love me or not love me. It's all about WHOSE I am. And I am His.

Comments

  1. Isn't that just so God? Isn't it so sweet how many, many different ways He tells us of His love? Precious.
    Although it's an "unconditional love", the words are used and used again...but then can totally sink in at times such as these. Drink them in, sweet sister, drink them in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow recent grandparent, you have written a great description and a new facet of God's love. His love is new every morning, and feels so incredible as we continuously discover the depths and width of His love for us.
    With my new granddaughter, Gemma, I am helpless but to love her, a fool in her presence, it's really quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God