Skip to main content

Boundaries In Prayer

Perhaps you've heard of the "Boundaries" book series: Boundaries in Marriage, Boundaries with Children, and simply Boundaries. I read the Boundaries book on parenting years ago. I can highly recommend it.

As far as I know though, Cloud and Townsend have not yet written a book on boundaries in prayer. Hmmmm. Wonder why that would be. Is it possible that there are no boundaries in prayer? According to Henri Nouwen (one of my favorite authors on prayer), there aren't. I read that little tidbit in my morning reading yesterday. An hour or so later, I checked my email to find that a friend had forwarded to me a devotional thought-for-the-day on the same topic.

I John 5: “14 This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 15 And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him.” The key to answered prayer seems to lie in the words, "if we ask anything according to His will." Right. How the heck are we supposed to know what His will is?

The answer to that question, I believe, is pivotal to living our lives on earth as Christ-followers. That answer is painfully simple and even more painfully difficult to do: we have to listen, and we can only do that when we keep the eyes of our hearts set on Him rather than on everything around us.

My day-job has had me swimming in stress the past ten months. Last week, we took a family vacation and went swimming in the Oil-Spill coast. Back at work now, I find I prefer the oil-spill to this, but I realized this morning that my focus has been on the tar balls surrounding me at work and on my efforts to clean them up. The second I realized this and set my focus back on God, my soul was doing the breast-stroke in that peace that passes understanding.

He takes me back time and time again to those words of Paul, "I have learned to be content whatever my circumstances" (Philip 4:11). What does that have to do with the lack of boundaries in prayer? Everything. When we pray for our circumstances to change, we put limits on God. Our focus is on the ground, on what is directly surrounding us. We seek immediate relief and nothing more. God's heart for us goes far beyond that. He has bigger prayers in mind for us. Much bigger. Often, what He has in mind seems impossibly bigger. He wants us to be able to say with Paul: "I have learned the secret of being content whatever my circumstances."

Go ahead, give it a try. Raise your head. Lift up your eyes. Focus on God, not your situation. Pray prayers that will effect you for eternity rather than just this moment. Let's see what God does. I dare you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God