Skip to main content

Take Possession of The Land

Take possession of the land the Lord your God is giving you to possess. Deut 1:8

I don't know about you, but I'd really like that verse to read something like, "Here you go. Walk in and enjoy. It's all yours." I'd like to sit here and wait for God to plop something in my lap. I don't want to "take" anything. To take means I have to be proactive. Capture, grab, seize, grasp, and snatch are just a few of the synonyms for "take" according to dictionary.com.

I like being the background person - the person behind the person, the mom. I like to take care of the one who is in the lime light whether the "lime light" refers to homework, soccer, cheer-leading, youth group, or business administration. It's comfortable here. No one is staring at me. I don't like people staring at me with expectation. I quit softball after a season or two in grade school because standing at bat, knowing that everyone had their eyes set on me was more than I could handle. I want to hide behind the performance of my child, husband, or boss. It's very safe here.

My children are grown and out of the house (have been for -gulp- almost six years now). I could SO easily stay busy with the stuff of life, keep the status quo. In many ways, that's exactly what I've done these past years, but as God does so well, He's highlighting this area of my life right now: Do I want more of what He has for me or am I content to hold steady?

I'm pretty sure that God has more in mind for you and me than simply staying busy until it's time to go home. He has land - lots of land. The problem is that we have to take possession of it. We have to want it. We have to want it so much that we're willing to fight for it - and more often than not, I'd venture to say, it may just be ourselves, our "inner demons," our fears, that we have to fight.

It's much easier to stick with the status quo. I mean, the Israelites wandered around for forty years. They were comfortable with that. It's what they knew. Why mess with something that works, right? They saw the promised land. It looked great, but fight for it? Wandering around the desert would be simpler, but God isn't after simpler. He never is. He wants more for us. He's wants fruit in our lives, and you can't even plant a vineyard if you're wandering in the desert much less produce fruit.

So (I'm preaching to myself now) follow God into the promised land and take what's yours. Believe that God is bigger than the myriad of giants you'll face, and you will face them. Step out of your safe place, your comfortable place and take possession of the land flowing with milk and honey that God is giving you to possess.

By God's grace, I'll see you there!

Comments

  1. Lori,

    A friend of Tony's was telling him about a situation in which someone was chronically complaining. "I hate this" they kept saying. Tony's friend's comment was, "They don't hate it enough." And that has resonated with me.

    Your blog today reminded me of that. I'm not sure the Israelites were content with their wandering - they never stopped complaining to poor Moses! And for generations after they settled, they complained to God and their leaders about everything, but they didn't hate their sin enough to change their lives and do something different! What a dilemma!

    That's why I love Caleb and Joshua so much. They said, "Let's do this!" when everyone else was unhappy but not so unhappy that they were inspired to act. I want to grab some gusto in life, too. Take what God promises is mine and bring everyone I can with me! Let's do it, Lori! Let's go take some land for God!

    Thanks for sharing this lesson,

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenni- your words, "...they didn't hate their sin enough to change their lives and do something different!" Put into perspective the day that I was saved (about 7 months ago now)...I hated my sin enough to change my life and I did something different. Thank you both!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God