Skip to main content

The Hug That Said It All

I witnessed a hug the other day.

Big deal, right? People see other people hug all the time.

Yeah, but this was a hug that melted my heart.

We attended a graduation party in honor of our nephew. It was held under a pavilion. There was quite a spread of food, and each table was loaded with decorations and favors (very nicely done, Ange!). Obviously a lot of work . . . a lot of love was poured into this party.

As the evening wound down, many of us hung around to help clean up. That's the un-fun part of a party. The un-fun part of this party became even more un-fun when, in an attempt to dump a drum of trash into a plastic trash bag, wet, gooey, smelley garbage ended up on the concrete floor of the pavilion. It was rank and disgusting, but my sister-in-law (the afore mentioned "Ange.") cleaned up without complaint.

When the graduate meandered by shortly thereafter, I jokingly told him, in a scolding voice, that he had better get down on his knees in gratitude for all his mother had done for him that day (I sure hope he knew I was joking!). He looked at me blankly then turned to his mom. Before she could even explain what had happened, he had her wrapped in his embrace. Being at least a head taller than her, his embrace included resting his chin on top of her head.

I've know this mother and her son since before the son was born. We've been together over many a holiday and various festive occasions that included plenty of just-hanging-out time, but this one moment in time, this one gesture told me more about their relationship than all the hundreds of hours we've spent together over the past eighteen years put together. This single embrace, given without the slightest hesitation, said it all.

I don't know that all mothers and their sons have this kind of love. I just happened to recognize it because it's what I have with my son.

We mothers of sons have to give our boys away to another woman at some point. It's a bitter-sweet offering. The pain of giving to someone else what you've held dear for so long, what has been solely yours for so many years, what you have nurtured and treasured is mixed with the joy of knowing that your son will love his wife well and that he will be an exceptional husband.

I want to warn you, Ange, of the pain and the joy of giving your son away. When the time comes, know that you've done your part and that you've done it well.

Comments

  1. ...and when you see your sons love on their sons and daughters like you loved on them, your heart will swell again with pride and joy. Because you know that now they, too, have come to be a part of our "club".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought tears to my eyes. I thought of not just my sons, but of THE son, and depending on whether you think God is male or female, or both (and of course, there's Mary), of the mixed emotions he/she felt giving us that very special son. I guess this spoke to me on more levels that you probably intentioned! It was wonderful meeting you this weekend and I hope that our paths cross again soon. Reading your blog, I now know why you don't look your age -- your spirituality keeps you young. (Plus those good genes and such!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resting...Resting?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I had dinner with our daughter-in-law and two of our grand children. My daughter-in-law lost her job a couple of months ago. I wanted an update on current job prospects or plans, so I asked, "What are you doing these days?" Her answer was simple and yet incredibly profound.              Resting. (Is that even a word in the American lexicon?) I'm proud of her, and of them, for making the decision that it's time for her to rest. She's been in hyper-drive for all the years I've known her (over 16).  That word has haunted me since she spoke it. Resting. What would happen if I...if you...gave it a try?  In Psalm 23: 6a, David says Surely goodness and mercy will follow me. In K.J. Ramsey's The Lord is My   Courage (page 240), she tells us that our English word, "follow," doesn't convey the power behind the original Hebrew word that David used (radaph). She tells us that radaph means "to pursue, chase, and pers

It's Time to Take off the Sunglasses

 Americans have a favorite pastime, and no, I'm not referring to baseball or football. This pastime doesn't cost any money. You don't need tickets, and there's no set game time. It happens every day. You don't need to be physically fit. You don't need special training. We do it at book club, at work, on the road, in meetings, having lunch with friends, etc. You get the idea. What is it? Complaining. We love to complain, and I'm right there in the fray, tearing everything and everyone apart. Sometimes it wears me out. My mom passed away many years ago, and one of my all-time favorite memories of life with her goes back to my summer between high school and college. We worked together that summer. Drove together every morning, bright and early, right into the rising sun. One morning, my mom reached into her purse and grabbed her sunglasses, putting them on just as we rounded the bend on the St. Louis-rush-hour-busy road that put us directly in the sun's pat

1%

Gideon: By his own admission, his family was the weakest of his tribe, and he was the weakest in his family (Judges 6: 15-16). Midianites: Big bullies who oppressed the Israelites back in the day. As the story goes, this little-nobody-Gideon is doing manual labor for his dad (I'm thinking that this might be akin to working at Walmart - not exactly a career - or even a job - that causes anyone to preen), when an angel calls him, "a mighty man of valor" (Judges 6: 12). Huh? Oh, you mean this other guy, right? Nope, I'm talkin' to you. Fast forward and we find this little-nobody-Gideon camping near Israel's oppressors with a team of 32,000. This seems like a lot until Gideon checks out the enemy and finds that there are so many Midianites and their pals, the Amalekites, that no one can count them. They seemed "like locust in abundance and their camels were without number as the sand that is on the seashore." (Judges 7: 12) Gulp. What does God